Big toe fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my big toe fused 10 weeks ago. The pain I had before the operation has gone but I now have pain underneath my foot and all over. (Some I think may go with my physio) But has anyone else has this operation? An what was the recovery like? I originally broke a bone in my foot 10 months ago so this has been going on for a long time!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have not had this problem however, your pain and swelling sounds like post surgical nerve pain and should go away with time. Give it time.
  • Posted

I had my big toe fused and bunion removed 2 1/2 yrs ago (Feb). You absolutely need to give it time. It took awhile for the swelling to go away and the pain (I had burning pain on top of my foot and occasionally still get -- more of an aching irritation now than pain). I was back to work in Apr as a retail merchandiser so I am on my feet all day. By the end of the day the foot was swollen and aching and I kept it elevated for several months but trust me it gets better.

One thing I did do was start to move my toes on that foot back and forth (I used the other foot alot to help move the big toe that was fused). I love to wear flip flops and that was the hardest thing to get used to again -- the toe doesn't move the same as it did obviously, however, I can still wear flip flops and move it up and down slightly.

• Posted

Thanks. I kept thinking it should've all been ok but my physio was saying foot surgery is a long recovery process.

• Posted

Hi Joanne.

I'm 12 weeks today... big toe fusion. I can't say my foot is painful

during the day but there is discomfort...and the toe itself feels

so odd which I suppose is only natural as it now has a plate and

screws in.

Walking is still uncomfortable but I try and go for a walk every

day, I'm not speedy just at a slow pace and it's a must that I think

about how I'm walking as at first it was Penguin style....foot flat

down no bending ankle.... which was fine for the first 8 weeks

or so of recovery but then I started getting used to it and my

ankle became stiff. I still elevate my feet during the day as they

still swell I also soak them in warm water and Epsom salts.

The only thing that I wish would stop is the awful aching,

twinging and twanging...as I call it... that happenes when I go to

bed at night....thats the worst time for me, sometimes it feels

as though my foot is being squeezed in a vice. I can only

assume its still the nerves settling down.

I've still to have what should be my 12 week chech up...can't get

that until 28th September so iI'll be17 weeks post by then, not

that I mind more time to recover is how I see it.

My surgeon said it can take a year to fully recover from the op

so it's early days yet but all that you discribe sounds normal.

• Posted

I had this surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if during your recovery if you ever stretched the door during the middle of the night. As I was turning to get comfortable last night I apparently stretched. Of course I felt a big twinge right away. Today the toe as hurt a little and feels a little strange. I didn't know whether stretching could move anything.

I do know that they say it is a very long process to get rid of pain and swelling if that helps. My Dr said up to a year

• Posted

I had issues with sleeping (still do) When I stretched it felt like a pull in my toe. It won't move the metal work though.

I'm still in pain and find it hard walking far. Need another scan now to see if another joint needs fusing!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I had visions of be pulling everything apart everything out of whack.  Seems to be a little better today.  I am sorry you are still feeling pain. I think it just takes longer than we all think. I will be having the right toe done in December. I suspect it is going to be some time before both feet will be back to some sort of normal.
    • Posted

I was in a car accident soon after the surgery and I asked my physio. She said it would need a significant bang for any issues with the metal.

Good luck with your next op.

• Posted

It took awhile for me to be able to stretch (point my big toe) at night and not wake myself up from the pain.
    • Posted

I am happy to know someone else has had this.  I was so afraid I did something. I can tell you it sure did hurt!!  Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.