Big toe fusion

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm looking for some experience from people that have had the main joint in one of their big toes fused. I need to have this done soon and I'm worried about what level of activity I can do and quite simply, how I will walk after recovery. I do understand that recovery can take up to a year, but how is normal walking once it's totally healed? As it is I have a slightly awkward gait because my toe doesn't have the full range of movement - I'm worried this will get worse and I'll be left with a permanent limp. I'm only 42, very active and do a lot of sports, including running... will I still be able to do this? How is normal everyday walking?

Thanks very much,

Rob

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you Audrey, that's really helpful and good advice.

Regards,

Rob

• Posted

hi i had a toe fusion on my right foot. im 26 and i was active going to the gym 2-3 times a week prior to my surgery (oct 12) i work 9-11 hours 5 days a week and am on my feet 90% of that time in a very fast paced environment. i was immobile most of my time i was off i started walking very lightly on my 6th week. had to start work again by december 3rd. i didnt feel ready and was very scared but im glad i went back as soon as i did because it helped my toe a lot, it would feel stiff until i began working. the whole process was tougher on my legs than my toe, i did have to come home and go straight to a hot bath due to the aches and pains. my toe now has great range of motion and i just started going back to the gym but im taking it lightly to regain muscle in my entire body as i feel extremely weak still. anyway im rambling now

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience couchpotato. How is walking for you now? Or more to the point, how do you think it will be after full recovery? Do you think you will be able to run? Or walk smoothly? You say you have a good range of movement - I thought the point was to totally prevent movement in the joint?

Thanks,

Rob

• Posted

i must have had a different surgery. my big toe was cut then fused to the joint with one screw. thats what my dr did

• Posted

Rob,

Did you ever have the surgery? I was looking for the answer to your question also, but I am post-op big toe fusion a little over 8 weeks. I'm transitioning out of the boot and in to rigid tennis shoes with proper insoles from my doctor. I find I keep having to tell myself to walk correctly, as in putting my weight normally on that joint instead of walking on the outside on my foot. Maybe I'm just being cautious and it's all in my head.. but I'm stressing that I will have this slight limp which I didn't have before. I know I need to give it time, but if the thought of not walking normally is bothering me. I had no limp before, just a ton of pain which I am grateful to no longer have, but I'm only 38. My job is 50/50 physical/office work. I'm going back to work this week and I don't want anyone thinking I can't handle the workload. Thanks in advance.

Aaron

• Posted

I had fusion done 22 years ago, no problems even today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.