Big toe fusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I had my big toe joint fused 5 months ago. Straight away after the surgery I noticed my big toe was pointing in the air. I have seen the surgeon and told him about the pain under my big toe but the main problem is that my smaller joint up the toe ( never before any problem ) cannot go flat on the ground and therefore is a unnatural position.

The surgeon said he will take out the metalwork in case that is causing the pain but I really think that it is because the toe joint has been fused in the wrong position or too much has been taken off the toe

Anyway what I would like to know is-----

Has anyone else had a big toe pointing upwards after fusion ?

Is it easy to take out metal and screws?

Thank you

Denise

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Denise,

I don't have any answers for you, but i have had a big toe fusion. it never fused and was causing a lot of pain. The doc told me at my last visit that it was as good as it was going to get. I went for a second opinion and she said i could have the big toe joint replaced. i did it and I'm so glad!! still not at 100% but i knew it wouldn't be. you should probably go for a second opinion. Removing the hardware will just cause additional problems.

Do what is best for YOU. Don't let the doctor bully you!

• Posted

I am pending a 4th surgery on my big toe. I had two failed IP joint fusion's with screws and staples and bone graft. So annoying. The surgeon has said that if there is pain, than there has to be micro-movement around the fused joint/hardware. So taking out the hardware is probably not going to reduce the pain. or at least not in my case. If the joint fuses as it should, there shouldnt be pain. My best to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.