Big toe fusion after bunion surgery, can I run again?

Posted , 54 users are following.

I had a buionectomy about 8 weeks ago. It was a severe bunion that could only be corrected by fusing my big toe straight as my whole foot was deformed.  While it looks better I am still very swolen and can not wear any shoes. Will I ever be able to run or dance again since I will never be able to bend my toe at the joint.  Any advise would be so appreciated.

1 like, 163 replies

163 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had bunion surgery December 2014 and 4 months later still had pain.  I went to three more doctors who told me the joint was shot, and the dr took too much bone to perform a joint replacement.  December 17 I had fusion done and just got the cast off and I am now in a walking boot.  Sitting for 6 weeks was brutle on my waistline but I am anxious to get back out walking again.  I am curious about long term results.
    • Posted

Hi Penelope. I am right where you are but in a panic. All I do is cry. This has altered my entire life. I can no longer wear boots or heels of any sort and the rest of my foot has started to hurt badly where it never did before. Please let me know how you are doing.
    • Posted

are you receiving physical therapy?  It is very important, I learned alot.  They are working on my range of movement and I didn't know that the scar can adhere to the bone underneath and cause problems. They manipulate the scar to keep it loose.  I agree, it has altered my life too forever. I found I can walk in a 2" heel but no more.  I had my surgery December 17, when was yours?
    • Posted

Mine was December 28th. I am really struggling with depression as I blame myself for not doing enough research. It is very difficult to adjust to not being able to roll up on the ball of my foot. I have a metal plate over the bones and truthfully, the surgery site does not hurt but because I now have to roll over to other areas of my foot, those areas do. Plus, none of the shoes in my closet fit. I have been buying and trying and returning shoes. Hope you are doing better. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, it's been a while since your post but I'm hoping you pick this up. I am4 months post op big toe fusion.  My only real issue is pain at the base of my little toes which seems similar to you experienced. It feels like walking with bruising and I guess is due to walking differently.  Anyway I wondered if yours settled down or how it is now?  Thank you

• Posted

I am wondering how you are doing? I had bunion surgery with fusion two weeks ago. No pain now and sitting a lot. I would appreciate any and all dvice for the best results.
    • Posted

Hi Joanna, I had surgery a week ago. No pain at all to which I'm surprised. I'm full weight bearing with a rocker shoe. How is your recovery?

• Posted

Hi Andrea, I am 5 weeks post op, I have been released to apply pressure only, no pronation, as I walk. No pain and doing minor excersises. It appears every surgery is different and so is the doctor's protocol. This is my docs speciality for years do I am trusting

Hope you continuing heal well. God bless you!

• Posted

Hi, I have just read your post re big toe fusion, I have had both my toes done over 18months ago and am wanting to run but wondered if there is a special shoe that needs to be worn to protect the toe?

thank you

• Posted

HI

I tried the minimalist trainers in a bigger size than my old ones as still had some sensitivity and swelling but found the soles too thin as my foot did not like uneven or stony ground so went back to ordinary running shoes.

I wear Saucony Omni, they are well padded underneath and have plenty of room in the toe box for the slight raise to the end of the big toe that allows you to "round off" as your foot leaves the ground.  I think I run flatter footed - just go very gently at first and follow a beginner's programme e.g. walk 1 min. jog 1 min repeat a few times - do this 3 times a week and gradually increase the amount of time jogging and walking and eventually decrease the amount of walking.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you that is some great advise there, I will start my training this week so fingers crossed its pain free x
  • Posted

I had severe bunion repair surgery 4 years ago, and now the large toe on my left foot is deviating the opposite direction (away from other toes).....my options are surgery to realign soft tissues and straighten the toe again, or a toe fusion. I am hesitant to fuse the joint, since I believe joints were meant to be mobile and fusion could cause issues elsewhere in my foot or ankle.......anyone else have this situation? My doctor feels fusion would "fix" it and believes the joint is very loose and that has caused the mobility.....
    • Posted

I also had a severe bunionectomy with fusion of the big toe 5 weeks ago. I have the same concerns about fusion as you have and think it should be done only as a last resort. My surgeon never fully explained it to me, or the pros & cons, etc.  If I had understood better, I would have not let him do it. (Choose a surgeon you trust who has many years of experience and make him answer all your questions and address all your concerns. My surgeon was the worst.)

• Posted

I had both feet done February 19 and March 10...speedy recovery...Feet still swell from time to time and the burning is sometime unbearable.Therapy is a must!!!! It will get you back walking in no time. Keep feet elevated when you can and use ice packs for the swelling. I'm already back to work with just a little discomfort. Yes yes you will be able to dance 😃
    • Posted

Hi there

I have been reading through all if the posts and mainly find most of them horror stories.it's frightening as I've had both bunions shaved off (bialateral bunionectomy) and screwed my toes I'm in week 2 of recovery and had very little pain. Slot of swelling but worried about the next few weeks you seem to be doing well I want to be able to run again but more importantly wear normal shoes and go back to work around 6 weeks time.any success stories seem hard to find?????

• Posted

Hi Charlotte there are a few success stories but are hard to find most people only put on the had things

I had hardly any pain or swelling but did rest with feet up a lot

I am 13 weeks in and since 7 weeks have been as normal but only wearing sandals

Have gone back to shoes now and ok

You should be ok to go back to work then

Jane x

• Posted

Hi Jane, I am just 2weeks post op without the need for pain meds. I elevate and ice frequently and am wondering if you have advice/opinion about making this the best recovery possible.

Thanks any help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.