Big toe fusion and second toe

Posted , 3 users are following.

My story, a year ago I had Bunion surgery, scarf , Adkin but after 4 months my big to did not stay strIght and went back towards my other toes, which also left my second toe stuck up from the op. This caused me great pain in my second toe, and the only was to straighten it , but to do so, I would have  to have my big toe fused at the main joint so there was space to straighten the second toe and also to fuse it. This was the only option I was told as I am flat footed on both feet.

I have had the surgery and at 2 weeks post op.  

Inepuld like to here Fromm other people who have had this done, and the outcome, as I am really scared about how am I suppose to walk with 2 toes fused.

gill

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had bunion surgery about 15 years ago and too much bone was shaved.  That caused a pronation to the 2nd toe that was beginning to hammer.  About 2 years ago my doctor decided I needed to correct the hammer but the results would be to break both big and 2nd toe.  I've since had the 2nd toe to hurt all the time and stick up, it has to be taped down, and the big toe is somewhat smaller than the 2nd toe.  It's a mess. I've not had positive results, I hope you do. 

• Posted

Hi Linda,  sorry to hear you have had trouble, did you have fusion as well?  I must admit  when I had my stitches out the other day, my toes was so straight , though I have also a pin in my second toe, which will be taken out in 4 wks,  my other 3 toes look deformed now as they was never straight in the first place. But I will have to see in 5 wks when the bandages come off again.

• Posted

I did have fusion on the big and 2nd toe.  I'm hoping to have some pain relief.  I actually just had surgery on the other foot and had to use cadaver bones, because my bones are gone.

• Posted

I had the surgery in late March. I am still in the cam walker but am extremely pleased with the outcome. My big toe still sticks up a bit but no more pain. I am hoping to return to normal in the next week or so. You just need to be patient and let your body adjust to the new mechanics in the foot. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.