Big toe fusion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I had my big toe fusion last Friday. The day I got back from the hospital I was able to bear weight on my heel and walk for a bit. Ever since that day I'm no longer able to walk on my heel and have had

My operated leg up with crutches. Is anyone else expereinxing this,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had a big toe fusinon done 3 years ago and I still have swelling and it feels like I am walking on a ball, when I first had it done, that was not the surgery the doctor told me he was going to do (I found him on the internet and he had some good reviews) however, on the morning of the surgery he told me that he would have to do a fusion of the toe because when he was looking at my xrays the night before he noticed I had a lot of inflamation, after the surgery he told me that he had to put in a plate and seven screws, I was having a difficult time and each time he told me it will get better and told me not to make any more appointments unless something severe was bothering me, so in January of this year I was referred to another orthopedic by my PC and he took one look and said that I did not need the fusion and secondly the reason for my problem and swelling was because my nerves were being compressed by the plate and screws and he would have to go in and remove them to decompress my nerves, so August this year it was done but he was only able to remove the plate and six of the screws because the seventh one was buried too deep, since the removal I had theraphy and doing better except I still feel like I am walking on a ball because of the fusion of the toe and I never was able to do the weight bearing properly.  He was very nice during my inital visit and consultation, but after the surgery and I was having so much problems and going to see him his attitude changed, I would never recommend him to anyone.
    • Posted

Oh wow sorry to hear you had to experience that all. What was it like walking during your first week after the big toe fusion operation? I'm having difficulty walking

• Posted

I was bandaged all the way up to my knee and they sent me home with a walker, so I had to use that for almost three weeks before I was fitted with a surgical boot, this other surgeon that went in to correct what he did had me in the boot the same day after surgery to go home and so I find that it allowed me to do more weight bearing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.