Big Toe Fusion Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last August I had bunion surgery. Six weeks ago I had big toe fusion surgery as the big toe needed to be realigned. Me and the doctor seem to be out of sync. He and I are not communicating. I ran out of pain killers two weeks after surgery, and he would not prescribe more. I was in horrible pain for an additional seven - eight days. 

The stitches were removed 25 days after surgery! Not two weeks like I was initially told. Also, I was never informed as to when I could start bathing.

So, as I no longer want to see this doctor again, when can I start walking on my heel in a surgical boot? I also have a castoff shoe where you place all your weight on the back heel, and there is nothing under the toes.

Please somebody, please share your experience with this surgery and when you begun to place weight on your heel.

My knee, hip, elbow and shoulder are in constant pain from using crutches and placing all the weight on my one side.

Thank You. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee,

sorry to hear things are not going well. I had surgery almost 9 weeks ago. Stitches out at 2 weeks and told not to cover the scar and let it heal. Had to cover it as to painful as rubbing on boot. Saw surgeon at 4 weeks, no more boot or crutches was told to go into trainers so had already purchased extra large sketchers. I suffer with back issues and had found it very difficult to use the boot. He too said don’t cover the foot but at 6 weeks when I saw my GP she said wear a sock as even sketchers were rubbing scar. This has been one if my biggest issues.

swelling still very much there, my second toe has started to hurt now and still getting shooting pains in my big toe. 

Hoped to be driving now but GP said not as it’s my right foot, she said I can start by just driving up the road for a short distance, did this yesterday but experienced some discomfort.

all in all pretty fed up, determined to get back to work within the next couple of weeks. Still elevating and icing.

happy days! Hope it all comes right for you.

gail

• Posted

Hi Gail,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am very frustrated because I didn’t expect my relationship with the doctor to have turned sour, especially when he’s still needed.

I’m going at this alone now, so I just hope I’ll be doing things satisfactorily.

Good luck to us both.

D

• Posted

How about seeing another foot doctor to follow your recovery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.