Big toe fusion taking longer to fuse, getting worried!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I had a big toe fusion on 15th January 2015, at my six week check where the cast was removed & the toe xrayed, I was informed my fusion was only 70% fused & put back in plaster. Now I'm a week away from cast removal and next X-ray, I am starting to feel very anxious that it won't have healed, I am 52 & it has been suggested to me that I could have osteoporosis as it's taken a long time to fuse and I don't smoke or have diabetes. Anyone else had this happen?  Turning into a hypochondriac now as had too much time to think! wink

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had a foot fusion op in July last year spent 8 weeks in plaster and 8 weeks in removable boot and had similar concerns over slow healing although I am diabetic. First 4 months showed approximately 40/50% healing and doctor had a mantra 3 months good, 6 months fair and 12 months better. 6 months later bones are fused although not pain free and I am awaiting a date to have metalwork removed. I know it's not exact same op but similar, keep the faith and hopefully it will come good like mine
    • Posted

Hi, I just wanted to check in with your and see if you are pain free after your fusion. Would love to hear your thoughts as I am considering this procedure. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.