Big toe joint replacement issue

Posted , 2 users are following.

Almost four weeks ago I had the surgery. Replacing my arthritic joint with a titanium joint. I still cannot bend at the new joint even though the doc says I need to manipulate it a lot. Now my top joint is very painful. My foot is very numb but the pain is there. I need some feedback please, I am worried. TIA. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Darci, I have had the surgery a couple of times. My last lot was in November and my toes and midfoot are still numb and painful.  I am also getting shooting pains in one of my toes - the surgeon said it would be nerves reconnecting.  I also had similar surgery in September 2015 as well as March 2017 (and November 2017 at bone grafts didn't heal).  From my experience, it will be some time before you get regular movement in your toes/foot and pain and numbness is quite common - it will disappear but it takes time.  Remember that the foot is very complicated and has lots of bones, etc.  Patience is a virtue here.  You probably need to go to a foot physiotherapist, and get a band and do stretching exercises on your foot.  All three surgeries I have done this has had helped me immensely.  No need to worry Darci, it will come good but do find a good foot physio (I am in Melbourne, Australia).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.