Big toe replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

had a big toe joint replacement 9 weeks ago.. it was complicated as I had put off for 4 years, by which time the toe was badly dislocated and had a large cyst. The bone had to be filled and capped with metal then the new joint.  I felt okay to try and walk in my walking boots, but now have sharp stabbing pains and constant pain in the joint area.. I have a toe spacer to keep in place fir a year as it was so badly dislocated and was above the recommended angles for surgery ...fusion was suggested but I opted for a new joint.

has anyone has so much discomfort after 9 weeks?

struggke to get shoes on.. hardly any swelling, just pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

The sharp stabbing pains, like someone is putting a knitting needle through your foot is nerve pain. This needs nerve pain medication. Normal ibuprofen paracetamol don't work. This pain doesn't last long though.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi

Did you have a big toe replacement or reconstruction. I had a reconstruction 5 months ago. And it still hurts but not bad enough that I can't walk 10 km. My surgeon said it will take up to a year + to fully recover. You are only 9 weeks down the road...which is nothing for major surgery. Patience...massage...rehap is the way to go here.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi.. I had a total replacement as the bone was completely dislocated and the bone was badly damaged by bone cysts and probably the 2 steroid injection I tried.

i am longing to get on the hills again! Git 2 new pairs of boots as my old ones were making me walk over because if all the pain previously, I still feel the same sort of pain in the same places...

how soon were you walking any good distance? Did you find massage helped?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.