Big toenail is purple and has a dull ache - no injury

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the last week my big toenail has felt sore if I gently press down on it, it is not ingrown and I haven't injured it. Today I noticed it looks slightly purple in comparison to my other big toenail, it also has a darker line down one side that looks like blood under the nail, also it has what can only be described as a dull ache, a kind of 'full' feeling. I'm not sure what is causing this and I'm a bit worried that if I leave it the toenail will come off. I'm away on holiday at the moment and won't be able to see a GP until next week.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have attached a few photos, it's my left big toenail that is giving me the problems 

• Posted

Hi chris54991, the symptoms you are describing point towards tennis toe. You can injure a nail by repeatedly pushing it against the front of your shoes. It happened to me a couple of times whiles playing tennis. You won't notice it on the court but only later when the toenail starts hurting. It can also happen while hiking downhill. 

It is more likely to happen if the toenail is slightly longer than usual and in need of clipping. 

Usually, the pain subsides after a day or two but in extreme cases, a small hole has to be made into the nail to release the trapped liquid. (The pain is caused by the pressure on the nail bed.)

To prevent similar injuries in the future clip your nails regularly. It is important not to trim the toenails too short and to trim them to a square shape to prevent ingrown nails. (The toenails shown in your photos are exemplary in this respect.) 

Another thing I do is re-tighten my shoes after playing for a while. As my shoes get warm they expand a bit and the foot is more likely to slide forward.  

Regarding your nail falling off, you might be lucky. On one occasion my nail did not fall off. On another occasion, the new nail gradually pushed the purple one away. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.