Bike Riding

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I was diagnosed with COPD a few months ago and since then been on inhalers, lung tests etc etc. I'm 57 male and used to do a lot of cycle racing. I've been back on a bike for a couple of months now and seem OK. Obviously cannot do what I used to -- but I can ride 40-50 miles off road with no ill effects. However -- if I run down the garden path - I'm breathless plus I get breathless during a normal day. Anyone else in a similar situation or know why this is ?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I too have a similar situation except that it does not involve biking, mine is walking. Once I get into a rythym I can walk for miles but it seems at other times the smallest thing like getting out of a chair or talking causes breathlessness and coughing.

I too would love to know an answer to this as I am currently claiming on my Income Protection insurance but the insurance company considers that because I can walk I should be able to do my job which involved 90% talking. They have now turned this down twice and claim that I have a Psycological disorder rather than a physical disease and they recommend I see a pshycatrist to cure my problem.

I was diagnosed a year ago and carried on at work until January this year when I found I could not even work reduced hours due to breathlessness and chest pain (Not Heart). the chest pain is apparently due to talking putting strain on my wind pipe. Has anyone else had this experience?

• Posted

I find that when I am having a bad day or maybe an infection, that I cannot complete a sentance without having to stop for breath. At those times it talking really takes it out of you.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi,

My mum likes talking, and sometimes talks too much and gets very breathless. My family now notices her get breathless and just tell the old girl to stop talk for a little while. It took her a while to get her head around the idea, but it works for her and we can enjoy talking again.

She too used to be very active, but now can't walk the length of a room without help which is a real shame. It must be very hard to deal with, and I do feel for the sufferers of the diease since I take all the things my mum can't do any more for granted. In fact, it does make me appreciate my health a lot more.

I hope you are ok.

Robbie.

• Posted

In reply to Mac J Nz....I too have had terrible chest pains which I have noticed gets worse after talking a lot. I have been told the pain is Tietze's Syndrome which was caused by the coughing from chronic bronchitis. I have sincere sympathy for you as the pain is incredibly bad..sharp stabbing pains which mimic a heart attack or pulmonary embolism. I had a pulmonary embolism last year (i'm only 27!) and they say that pain is one of the worst pains you can experience and this tietze pain is just as bad if not identical! Before i knew what it was, i have been back to a&e many times thinking i had a p.e again.

I also can walk my dog for miles but just walking up the stairs can suddenly cause my breathlessness and tight chestedness. Its strange.

Since starting symbicort turbo inhaler a few weeks ago my cough has got better and my chest pain has got better too but even doing gentle yoga can trigger the tietze's off again and then i have to rest my upper body for at least several days for it to improve.

P.S Asthma inhalers didn't help my COPD and I was a bit of a social smoker when i was younger but have hardly ever smoked so this disease came as a bit of a shock to me!

• Posted

Hi,

I too had this when i was 21. i had a terrible chest infection and coughed for weeks on end without getting it seen to properly. I contracted pneumonia from the infection, but I can say that the pain from Tietzes is crippling.

When i eventually did go to hospital to get seen to, I could not stand up properly the pain was so bad. It was like a stitch, but so so much worse. I think it comes from swollen cartlidge in your ribcage from coughing profusly, and very hard. I am unsure if they can treat it, but after I left hospital I was given Kpak pain killers to help and I haven't had it since thankfuly.

I do feel for you, and hope it clears up. Maybe anti-inflammatories might be the way to go???

Robbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.