Bilateral Bunionectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

I just had bilateral bunionectomy this past Thursday, July 17th. I am suppose to return to work this coming Thursday, July 23rd. So far i can barely put any weight on my feet. I would like to hear from others who had bunionectomy. Do you think i will be able to drive or atleast walk by Thursday? Also, will i have to leave these surgical boots on for a while?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's best to take it slow rather than take the chance of undoing what all the surgery just did...

follow the dr advice and all instruction to properly heal and then a bit of freedom comes bake a little at a time

• Posted

What does your surgeon say? My doctor said no weight bearing for 3 months. At work are you on your feet? Do you work from home?

• Posted

I'm am retired. I wear a boot and use a wheel chair. For grocery shopping I use the store scooters. 

Do u have anyone that can assist u?

• Posted

Oh, I'm good. My wife is a professor so she'll be off work for the first four weeks after my surgery. I'm only doing the right side this time. I work from home primarily by phone and computer so the only thing I can't do is travel, which is a big part of my job usually. I'm getting a Lapidus procedure and my surgeon has been adamant about me not being weight bearing on the foot for three months!
    • Posted

Good to hear UR in good hands.. The wife is the best.. Get her a gift or two now before surgery to give her later.. After surgery a few days passed by give her one and so on.. 

Especially a chocolate bar.. Small gifts r from the heart..

CHEERS

• Posted

Hi

My surgeon wanted to sign me off for a month...!!! I had mine done on the 9th and am back to get plaster odd and stitches out this morning. I asked to be signed off for 2 weeks but he would not reccomend that I go back so early I am signed off till next Monday as long as I can be dropped to work and picked up as he dosn't reccomend walking to far, also I have to elevate my feet at work. I work in an office so that should be ok but I am going to see what he says this morning and go with his advice. I do think yours is too early, hope this helps

• Posted

Hi

I had my two feet done on 3rd July and my consultant said I could not return to work for 7 weeks.  I can not drive for six weeks.  Do be careful as doing too much too soon could delay your recovery and outcome in the long-term.

also you should consult your driving insurance before driving as you may not be covered to drive so soon.

Denise

• Posted

Hi. I had both bunions done together 10 days ago. I was told to wear the shoes provided for 6 weeks and given a sick note for 4 weeks. They said I should get another sick note from my GO after that and that I would need at least 6 weeks off work. My job involves a lot of standing so it would be difficult to go back too soon. I was also told not to drive for at least 6 weeks.
  • Posted

Hello simbacatz01.

I have just read your comment about your recent surgery on 17 July and that you are expecting to return to work on 23 July.

I have just checked my calendar as I was thinking it was not July but April 1st    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must either be crackers or very badly informed to think that you could return to work a week after this surgery.

I don't know why or from where you have dreamed up this ridiculous idea.

You have already demonstrated that you

are in no fit condition to be even thinking about putting weight nto your feet let alone returning to work. And this is not the exception as you have after all just had invasve surgery to your feet. It is normal that you will not be able to move around very well for quite a while yet.

As someone who had this surgery on one foot in November 2013 you can take it from me and I guess from many others who use this discussion forum that you can forget about doing anything for at least 6 weeks. If you do not heed this advice and keep your feet elevated and above groin level you will not only experience extreme throbbing and swelling but you will prolong what is normally a very long recovery period following this surgery.

I don't know what planet you are on or where you had your surgery but either way you need to be aware that this surgery will require at least 6 months recovery.

As for driving you can forget it. It was three and a half monts after my surgery before I felt comfortable and confident enough to tackle driving. If you are in the UK you need to understad that you MUST notilfy your vehicle insurer of the surgery you have had ( unless you drive an automatic) and that you are required to be able to perform an emergency stop satisfactorily and without discomfort once you recommence driving. I suggest you read the following on the website of the Royal Natonal Orthopaedic Hospital  -  'A Patient's Guide to Bunions ( Hallux Valgus) and Lesser Toe Deformities'

Gillian

• Posted

I'm surprised that after one week you are returning to work. I had bilateral bunionectomy 12 days ago & have to wear the boots for another 4 weeks with a sick note for 6 weeks. I have been keeping my feet elevated most of the time as adviced. What job do you do? I don't feel that I would be able to work yet & can hardly walk. I think you need some advice from your doctor poor you! It's important to look after your feet in order to achieve a full successful recovery. 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies.My doctor actually told me that I should be able to return to work and drive within a week. I sit all day at work so I hope that helps. Could it be that my bunionectomy procedure was less complicated? My follow up appointment is Thursday, lets see how it goes. I will keep you guys updated. I tried walking to the restroom this morning and was able to walk by holding on to things. 
    • Posted

I am 12 days there is no way I could drive & I feel like I am doing really well - pain has reduced and I'm  getting about the house with surgical shoes & no crutches - every day I improve but still feel like it is very early days. You are very brave I hope it all goes well for you we can all only take our own doctors advice - it's our lives in their hands take care of yourself & listen to your body x
  • Posted

Hi I had my bunion surgery at the beginning of April this year and I rested like and had 6 weeks off as I have to drive and didn't feel confident or comfortable driving until then and then only short distances. There would have no way that I could have driven and the fact that dr says it's ok is rather scary. Even now at 3 1/2 moths post op my foot swells like a good 'un and I have to admit I've done too much and rest up or suffer the consequences. Don't feel pressurised to go back to work too soon or you will regret it
  • Posted

Why haven't you got crutches?

You most certainly should have been given a pair and also given help and guidance how to use themand manage the stairs.

The hospital where I had my surgery ( Bradford Royal Infirmary) has a dummy staircase for the physiotherapists to to show the patients how to negotiate the stairs.

I cannot believe that you have not been given any post surgery support or guidance.

The elbow crutches are an absolute necessity as your balance will be all over the place and also you need them in order to focus all your weight away from your feet.

Insist you are given crutches. For you own sake.

Gillian

• Posted

I will ask him for crutches on Thursday when I see him. I think it will be easier to balance with the crutches. As i was trying to walk today, I have to hold on to things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.