Bilateral bunionectomy plus hammer toes rectified

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am day 3 days post op. Feeling sore  & swollen plus bored. However I did prepare for all this in advance but still feel a little fed up., hence on the internet & finding this helpful site to keep me going & positive for a good end result if I do as instructed & take advice from others.  Feet elevated , ice packs are really helping me & of course planning pain killers so I don't over/under do them. I do feel helpless as I am use to running around - got to stay like this until Wednesday 23 July when back at the hospital. I was only kept in the hospital for a few hours after surgery & have just about managed the trendy shoes & crutches. I do have a downstairs loo so only need to use the stairs morning & evening when I have been going up & down on my bottom & I have a frame over my feet in bed to keep the covers off my feet. Tonight after reading on here I am going to raise my feet on a pillow for the night. It's great sharing experiences with others especially those that have had both feet done together - Karen x

6 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Good luck with the recovery --I am due to have bilateral bunionectomy and second toe straightened in a few weeks by which time you will be much more active and it will be me feeling fed up! Not looking forward to the inactivity --the frame over feet in bed sounds like a good idea --this site is full of good suggestions.
    • Posted

Hi Liz! If I can help let me know, I'm sure I have many more obstacles to over come but even at this early stage I am glad that I had both done together. Your right this site is good just to vent off to each other plus gain some tips & advice to keep us going. 
  • Posted

Karen I wish you all the best of luck with your recovery. Best keeping your foot elevated as much as possible as it helps ease the pain. Have ou tried going sideways up your stairs facing the railing? One foot on the step with the next on the same step, doing the same as you climb to the top and back down again holding the railing while leaning your other arm on the wall for balance helps. I recently had a Ostetomy/Akin foot surgery and that's how I climb my stairs. 12 stitches were removed last Wednesday. Are you wearing a special surgical boot which keeps your foot aligned while easing pressure as you walk?
    • Posted

Hi

That sounds like a great tip for getting up stairs! Thanks for Sharing that. I am still trying to get up and down on my bum and so will give your way a try.

• Posted

Hi! Yes I am wearing the surgical boot on both feet, I have even been keeping them on in bed to give support as I am a wrestles sleeper & move onto my tummy plus if I need to go to the bathroom I'm prepared. My stairs don't  have railings all the way up so will have to stick to the bum shuffle for now. 
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Hang on in there, it will get better every day. I am now ten days post op after having both feet done.  Definitely agree with the pillows in bed.  I have a few cushions and find that rearranging them if I wake

up so I can get my feet in a different position helps. Also I found that if I get too uncomfortable getting up for a couple of minutes and taking a couple of steps returns the circulation in my feet. Once back on my back with my feet in the air they are better. Everyone is different with pain but I felt it really started to drop in intensity after day 4 and I then didn't need the meds as much.  The boredom will only get worse and so resign yourself to this and try and find things to occupy your mind.  The internet is a great place for discussion forums, games and video clips.  You could maybe start a blog of your experience. This would be of great interest to anyone going through the same or for anyone looking to have the procedure.

Hope you feel better soon! Take care!

• Posted

Hi! I'm day 4 today & have had a good nights sleep & the pain has reduced - feeling happier! It's going to be along Saturday but well prepared my feet are already in position for the day (elevated of course) - will be able to watch all of Saturday morning kitchen (as usually cleaning & doing house jobs) - nice lunch,  then I think I will start internet shopping in between discussions on this bunion forum. Won't tell my husband that part of my plan!  That's a good part of the day sorted, apparently if the weather stays nice I'm going to be put outside for an airing - a bit like putting the washing out haha!! Thanks for reply Deni enjoy your day! 
  • Posted

Hello Karen.

I've been contributing to this site since January and so am an 'old hand'.

You sound to be doing all the correct things.

Glad you got a bed cradle to keep the weight of the bedclothes off your feet.

Maybe you've been reading all my many past comments.

You're early in feeing fed up. For the first 3 days I was still recovering from the effects of the general anaesthetic and so was in a lovely far away sleepy state.

The golden rule is to follow all instruction as you are in for a ver, very long journey and by that I mean I guess by my experience minimum of 6 months. But, trust me when I tell you that it will be all worth while BUT ONLY if you don't try and do anything silly before you're able.

I have absolutely no regrets about my6 bunion and hammertoe surgery and am preparing for my other foot being operated on in September. This time though it's just a bunion.

Good Luck.

Gillian

• Posted

Hi Gillian! Yes I have been reading your comments - thank you! I am following instructions as I know it's the only way to a successful recovery. Maybe I will get use to this sitting around it's just alien to me.  today I have put some planning into my day -  it may not be too bad. Thanks for the golden rules & I'm glad it was worth it for you, good luck with your other foot. I'm sure I will feel the same.  Enjoy your day. 
  • Posted

Good Luk and best wishes to a complete recovery. it does have a long down time, I hope that in UR case it will be worth it. I was I'm mine. I walk much better. I couldn't believe how stiff I was.. It really make a difference to follow the doc recovery advice.

CHEERS

HOPE

• Posted

Thank you! I'm getting stiff just sitting around but know it will be worth it in the long run. I'm sat podding peas from our garden right now, which is the most active thing I have done today. Keep up you successful recovery x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.