Bilateral bunions removed three weeks ago, no pain just swollen.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had bunions removed on both of my feet three weeks ago. I can drive and walk for short distance now. I haven't really had any pain but both feet are swollen. I can't fit into any of my old shoes so still wearing the surgical sandals. It seems that the old bunions areas are very swollen. I am trying to walk as pre-surgery but the big toe joints are stiff, I walk like any old person, small steps and going downstairs is not as easy.

Any idea how long before I can fit in the normal shoes? Also, has anyone had any physiotherapy to help walking? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow . 3 weeks and driving already? Hope your consultant has approved this. I'm coming up to 12 weeks and he only gave me the go ahead at week 10 and advised me to contact my insurance Company. I'm now wearing sandals- toe post ones - as am still swollen and cannot yet get any decent footwear. Good luck with your healing. If you're on Facebook check out this pages, which is extremely helpful.... I survived a bunionetcomy

• Posted

My operation was minimally invasive surgery did you have the same? 12 weeks still swollen, I probably have a long way to go yet. 

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

I had both feet done. Right foot was a correction operation from last year and also hammer toe straightened. My Consultant told me that the swelling can take up to a year to go down! Now there's a thought.

• Posted

Goodness.... you only had your surgery 3 weeks ago and you're walking let alone driving.

I wasn't even allowed to walk very far at this stage.... talking bathroom visits and even then only wearing my surgical shoe and keeping my foot dead flat.

I was released to wear normal shoes at 6 weeks post op but would still wear my surgical shoe because of the swelling up until 12 weeks.... felt more comfortable.

I wasn't allowed to drive until I could safely do an emergency stop incase it invalidated my

car insurance.

I still had quite bad swelling months after my op... My surgeon said full recovery would take up to a year....and he was right.

• Posted

Goodness Sandra that's a quick recovery!  I was told to be non-weightbearing for six weeks post-op.   Foot was swollen for a couple of months probably longer.  ..six months post-op foot great just occasional twinges.  Now to get the other one done!! 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

Actually before my op I was told by my surgeon that i should be in sneakers in two weeks and 4 weeks in normal shoes. I haven't achieved that yet, I am in my Darco sandals as my feet are still swollen. I was encouraged to walk with a frame on the morning after op. I am wearing the Bonbone bunion sleeves they seem to give my feet a lot of support. 

I do feel  nerves pinching and swollen but no pain.

Good luck with your other foot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.