Bilateral cervical rib

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago with bilateral cervical rib. After suffering with, what i can only discribe as stroke like symptoms, i was sent for yet another mri. The results have come back that i have abnormalities in my brain, which they think is caused by my extra ribs "pinging" off blood clots!!! Has anybody else had this or heard of it?? I now hav to wait yet again to see a neurosurgeon. Thanks smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bernie, that is a very rare condition you are suffering from. It is usually unilateral and is more common in women than in men. It only appears in 0.5% of the population. Even more rare is that it would be affecting your blood vessels (by means of sheer mechanical pressure, really).

It usually goes undetected until an x-ray or similar exam is performed and then again it can be forgotten about since it is more often than not completely asymptomatic. In some cases the cervical rib starts pinching the local nerves causing pain and discomfort. The condition is caused by abnormal bone formation during growth, due to a congenital defect. Which basically means that even if it develops over time, you are born with it.

Symptoms can go from just a mild numbness and tingling in the forearm and hands, all the way up to include severe blood circulation impediments, especially to your hands, so much so that if left untreated it can cause gangrene to your fingers, so it is always best to take care of it as soon and as quickly as possible.

In your case, since it has started creating such problems as you describe, they will probably offer to you to surgically remove the outgrown bone tissue, which will take care of it once and for all. In the meantime you can try some exercises targeted to strengthening the muscles of your neck and shoulders, they can help relieve a bit of the pressure the cervical ribs are putting on your blood vessels, but you should definitely talk to a posture/muscle rehab expert to find out which exercises are best for you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thankyou very much this has been really helpful. I will talk to my gp smile
  • Posted

Hello,

Even i'm suffering from the same problem from last 8 years, diagnosed 2.5 years back and got operated one side last year and another one this year. But still the problem persists, the condition is so worse now that i am not able to pick even 1kg for 5minutes. Though there is some improvement in numbness and tingling, but there is no such improvement in pain in shoulder and scapula region. 8 years problem have resulted in fibromyalgia which is the main raeson of my pain in back and scapula region and it sometimes results in shooting migraine pain. I wonder that how would i'll be able to live my life further with such problems as I'm just 21.

Please guide me someone regarding this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.