Bilateral cervical ribs causing migraines

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with cervical ribs in 2015 and before that I never really noticed any issues just that my collar bone on the left side stick out awkwardly far. After a car accident in 2016 I began experiencing symptoms on TOS on the left side. I saw a chiropractor for a while and now the tingling just comes and goes but lately I have the stiffest and sorest neck no matter what I do. These neck aches are associated with headache/ migraine pain and I'm wondering if the ribs could be to blame. Anyone experience this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Those are all the same things that was going on with me. Had surgery for it. It left permanent damage. I have dystonia from the extra rib and still in therapy .
    • Posted

The surgery left damage or the rib? I'm sorry to hear that sad I hate how the doctor just shrugged me off like yeah you have extra ribs no big deal when in reality they cause a lot of pain and postural issues. He said TOS could happen but also made that sound like nothing

• Posted

I also have Psoriatic Arthritis and hear you about how doctors can make you feel like some sort of hypochondriac or something. It's a "quality of life" issue. Well, Life REALLY sucks a$$ when your in pain and can't focus or you miss out on things that are important. If you get this from a doctor... RED FLAG! Kick him/her to the curb and find someone worth listening to. It's YOUR life. :]

• Posted

I have gone through headaches/migraine pain also. Had my left cervical rib removed over a year ago. Things are overall MUCH better. I kind of have the same lingering question though about if the TOS is responsible for the headaches or if it's another one of my structural deformities (scoliosis and abnormal neck curvature aka "Text Neck." I'm thinking it may even be a mix of eveything. It's not uncommon for TOS to have headaches associated, or so I've been lead to believe.

• Posted

It's great to hear a positive result from surgery. So many suffer from chronic pain I am scared to get it done but because of the pain I am in now I think it's only a matter of time before I need it. Do you have permanent nerve damage?

• Posted

I'm not sure if I have permanent nerve damage, probably. I do know it takes a considerable time to heal or redirect nerves and it's only been about a year for me. The pain is pretty much completly gone, numbness is mostly in my hand. I don't have the fine motor control in my left hand which makes putting in earrings with backs impossible at times. I forget that hand is lame sometimes and will drop s**t by accident. I just laugh at it now. I also take Lyrica 200mg 3 times daily. THIS has always helped me considerably with the nerve pain.

I did some Physical Therapy before surgery which helped only in that I had some exercises I could focus on when I recovered. Trying to get in best shape possible is important with this pre and post surgery. Stretching and light light weight.

My surgeon told me to walk my arm up the wall with my fingers after surgery. This WORKS tremendously to regain the flexibility you lose. After surgery you will notice that you can't raise your arm very high. Or, at least I couldn't for some time. I'm SO glad I had the surgery done. I should have done it sooner, saved myself the torture. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for reaching out! I definitely think it's time to start the process of finding a surgeon. Looks like going out of state is the best option so I have to start getting a savings together now! I hope you get to 100% and beyond!

• Posted

Thanks! Also, look for a vascular surgeon. Dr. Kaj H. Johansen in Seattle, WA did mine. I would have never guessed. He was AWESOME! He was really familar with not only TOS but had done uncountable number of surgeries. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.