Bilateral hip pain and not taking NSAIDs

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I’ve had arthritis in my hands ( heberdens nodes) mainly for 10 years now, and started to have pain in my right hip about 2/ 3 years ago.went to GP some months ago  and she’s sent me for x ray that showed starting of arthritis. I use voltarol cream sometimes if pain is really bad.

Now recently I started having pain in my left groin a lot too and now everyday as I’m in activity gets worse. Both hip groins hurt and I can’t take NSAIDs because I have chronic gastritis caused by bile. I’m taking sucralfate for the gastritis for now. I’m in total distress.

I went to the gp this week about the hips pain and he didn’t referred me to a rheumatologist but physiotherapist which I don’t understand . I don’t know for sure which arthritis I have if RA or OA. My blood tests are SUPER negative for RA factor. RA runs in my family and having pain in both hips now at 42 I don’t know.I’m thinking in using my bupa insurance to see a rheumatologist instead, and see if he can run more tests. I even researched about stem cells therapy because this pain is unbearable and it’s just the early stages of arthritis. I’m on amytripiline prescribed by doctor for pain but it’s not helping and paracetamol. Has anyone tried the stem cells therapy so far and feel made a difference? I’ve also read about NO-NSAIDs pills but still in research think.  I’m dealing with two terrible chronic conditions at moment and I feel depressed a lot . Thank you 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have OA in my hands and same as you can't take NSAIDs so use volatorol or paracetemol. You were sent to a physio to get the joints moving. 

Use your BUPA and go see an orthopaedic surgeon for your hip or your hands. Surgery is always the very last option. I saw my surgeon for 5 years before he mentioned surgery. Prior to that he did a number of things including steroid injections into the  joint. 

In the UK you will only get stem cell treatment if its approved by NICE and I am not sure that it is. 

I am just about to have my 3rd finger joint replacement and I am not 60 yet ..... Afterwards I am completely pain free once the surgery pain has worn off. Don't worry about surgery, especially with hips there are way more success storied than horror ones and many who don't get good results fail to do the all important physio afterwards to get the joint moving. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes I think I’ll try to see if my gp referres me to a rheumatologist or a orthopaedic surgeon through my insurance. I’m not sure which one, because RA runs in family so I wanted to do more tests besides the blood ones to be sure it’s not RA. I think you can do the  stem cells in UK but probably  you’ll have to  self pay. It’s all very new. I’ll have to research more about it.
  • Posted

I had arthritis....bone on bone in both hips. I tried stem cell therapy first but it didn't work.....hips are still for some reason not as successful as other joints with stem cell therapy. A year after stem cell therapy and still no relief ....I had both hips replaced at the same time. 5 weeks later I was back to teaching and choreographing! So HAPPY I had a FABULOUS DOCTOR and finally decided to do it! No more arthritis pain!

• Posted

I believe my hips arthritis is in early stages, I ‘ve done x ray to right hip but not to the left yet. I’ve read that stem cells therapy can help in early stages of arthritis  but I haven’t tried so can’t say much about it. Were your hips bone n bone when began therapy?

I’m only 42 and have a 3 year old child that needs my constant attention, so i need to try everything to reduce pain without taking NSAIDs.I hope I can find a good doctor.

• Posted

Whyever NOT use your Bupa insurance?  What have you been paying for all those years?
  • Posted

Dear Leni, I am so sorry for your pain. And you are so young.  I am 74 and just started having pain in my right hip in September. Xrays show mild degeneration and thinning of tissue.  Today, I was Christmas shopping downtown and the pain became so bad that I called a friend to come and get me.  Now, for the first time, I am looking at online forums.  I wish I had some good practical advice for you. You sound brave.
    • Posted

Hi Donna thank you for your message.I have a 3 year old child that I want to see growing and enjoying life with so I need to stay brave and not giving up in searching ways to get treatment. I feel sometimes that life gave up on me, but I need to stay focus and always have hope I’ll find a way to feeling better.

If you’re in the Uk like me, arthritis research uk is a good support website to look for x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.