Bilateral Hip Replacements in two days!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a 52-year-old woman who has had OA since my late 20's.  At the time, I was told that nothing could be done until I was much older.  So I started the Nsaid game, did injections, lost weight, and now I'm to the point that I need more relief.  I went to see a new doctor and he said it was time for them both to be replaced!  Even at my age, he feels that I may not need another replacement in my lifetime, and only time will tell.  Just to have the pain gone for one day would be amazing!  I was so excited the first time I had the injections.  I walked out with no pain for the first time in 25 years!  I lost my flexibility long ago, which is a hindrance to my life.  I know having the hips replaced will not give me back the flexibility, and I will have to work to have that.  I am curious to know what others have experienced in that area?

I found Coffeeman's discussion to be very helpful, and I believe there is another member that has a link out there as well.  I'm doing all the reading I can to try to keep myself calm!

My surgeon said he is doing the "superior" approach, that I was not the right body type (tummy's too big!! LOL) for the Anterior approach.  I'm hoping that this means I will not have as much pain from the incisions and cut muscles as the Posterior approach.  I will know more in a couple of days, I suppose.

I did buy risers for my recliner, and my hubby is going to put a riser under the couch since I'll have to sleep downstairs for a bit.  I'm nervous, but I'm prepared.  I know there is a lot of pain and discomfort in my near future, but I will come out on the other side so much better!

I am open to any suggestions at this point!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

4 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stacey, 

Warm welcome to this friendly forum of hippies and posting your first question ..

I had 2 THR surgeries done within 6 months and live alone - 

first time I was not offered rehab at that time - so I went through it by myself - when 2nd time rolled around I mentioned it but they thought I would do good as I did it before on my own - 

On hindsight maybe going to rehab would have been wiser - To be honest I don't remember too much about the first weeks anymore - I did have home health nurse coming in every morning for 10 days and that helped -

good luck tomorrow - all is weel and nyou are in good hands-

sending healing your way and looking forward to your first post-op post ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I can't imagine being alone afterwards!  That had to be hard.  Congratulations!  I hope your life is much better now with the new additions!
  • Posted

Hi Stacey

I've been down a very similar path as you. I'm 56, have had osteoarthritis in my hips for years. I started getting injections in my left hip in July of 2014. By the following Spring I bit the bullet and moved on to bilateral injections. I finally talked to my surgeon at my last injections and we made plans to replace both hips December 19th. My husband works with school transportation so he can be off some then, I will have more sick time built up and insurance deductible will be mostly if not completely met. I can't give you any idea what to is coming up for you but I will definitely be rooting for you. I know I am so excited about a future that no longer contains hip injections but does include true pain relief. Keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes. I'll be thinking about you.

• Posted

I wish the injections had lasted longer!  But it's the right time.  I'm looking forward to my new life and new hips.  Good luck to you!!
  • Posted

Hello Stacey! I had bilat hip replacement on March 15...I am nearly 2 months post op. Anterior approach was used. I have had steady recovery and zero pain. ZERO PAIN. I took myself off all meds within ten days. I am 55 and am very healthy.... Except for my hips that is smile...the new hips are fabulous. Take it slow and follow all instruction from your Dr and physio....stamina is slow to return but you don't notice so much because there is. NO PAIN smile
    • Posted

That's fantastic! I was hoping for the anterior approach, but I'm getting the superior approach. It's supposed to be a bit easier than the posterior. I'm actually at the hospital just waiting now. I'm hooked up to an IV and waiting.
    • Posted

Super - see you on the other side. Pleasant dreams and smooth operation
    • Posted

thinking of you !!!! 

surrender - take a deep breath - open your eyes and you are done and dusted !!!

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Stacey. Wishing you a speedy recovery after your surgery. This is a great forum, lots of info. And support from others. Let us know how you are doing. I'm at day 9 post op lthr. So far, so good; just a little bored. When I woke up this morning, I did realize that I was no longer waking up with that awful pain! It's gone! So, yes, you do have a lot to look forward to! 
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind words!  I had my surgery as planned, recuperating is a bit of a challenge!  I will start a new thread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.