Bilateral knee surgery into sixth week.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

I had my surgery six weeks ago and am now struggling a little bit practically every day. I just want to turn that corner and be feeling a lot more positive. I've been reading some of the other posts on here and have seen that these sort of issues are quite normal.

I suppose what I'm after is just a bit of reassurance that it will all be ok to give me a bit of confidence. I've been to PT and they are more than happy with how it's going but I just feel as if I want everything to be back to normal ASAP as I'm starting to climb the walls.

Sleeping is becoming the biggest issue I suppose I'm not falling asleep until about 2am then this is having a knock on affect during the day. It mainly the uncomfortable ness I'm taking a strong pain killer of a night time but even then I'm waking every hour or two the broken sleep is a nightmare.

I'm looking at some advice really on how long I can expect these dort of issues carrying on for.

Thank you Kevin

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 12 weeks out from bilateral TKR. I honestly think that six weeks or so was the hardest time for me. I was so anxious to feel better, so exhausted all the time, having miserable sleepless nights, etc. I was depressed and did some crying.

I just have gradually gotten better. I've tried to think of each small step as an accomplishment and to focus on the positive. I started back to work very gradually, just a couple hours a day. Now I'm working 7-8 hours every day, many of those hours standing and walking. I still take Tylenol, and occasionally I take oxycodone. Sleeping is still an issue, but it's improving. I have a little stiffness in my knees and a little swelling.

All this is to say, you will feel better. It will take time. Soldier on and focus every day on what you can do that you couldn't do the day before.

• Posted

For me about week 9

Try a Safe-T-Sport knee brace (Amazon) The compression made my knee sigh and allowed me to reduce the narcotics and sleep. Narcotics reduce REM sleep .

• Posted

hi chelseakev i am 5 weeks p,o on 2nd tkr first one 1 year p,o now spell it out wicth is the wictch in tkr recovery and that is sleeeeeeeeeep! or rather the lack of it, i take all the meds prescribed "and" otherwise but it is still the no 1 culprit for me, lucky as i remember from the first one 6months my sleeping patern got better and just as i was out of the woods bang no 2 comes along lol hope it helps not the same for every one though regards danie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.