Bilateral PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I was looking for some advice.

I was diagnosed with a bilateral PE last week. I have started taking rivaroxaban yet I am still suffering with chest pains when over asserting myself and I seem to tire very easily. I also still feel very tachycardic. I bought a oxinator to calm my anxiety with my heart, yet my pulse  is still over 100 even when resting,  is this normal?

I was discharged quite quickly due to the need of beds and the time of the year so i feel I am lacking in information, I was even advised I could go back to work the next day.

When can I expect to see changes in my pulse settling as I cannot tell if my chest pain is from my PE or my heart struggling.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello emma,

Does your chest pain increase 1-2 hours after taking rivaroxaban? ? If so it's a side effect of the medication, It's actually listed as an urgent to be seen at A&E or ED,  depending which country you are from I had to be taken off it due to that, I was in the emergency department with my angina chest pain every day, doctors there didn't believe me that the medication was the cause, my GP changed medication and voila ... chest pain gone. 

?If it's not medication related it could take awhile to stop, but you must always take the chest pain seriously and go straight to emergency.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

It sounds like you were rushed through the emergency system in record time. I was in for a week or so.

Rivaroxiban seems to be the drug of choice in the UK, although it doesn't suit everyone. Apaxiban (sp?) seems to be better tolerated and warfarin is also fine, but a bit of a pain to manage dosage.

Recovery time could be short (but still weeks) if clots are few and small. More or larger clots will take longer and if you are unlucky enough to have many large clots......well, I am still improving after two years.

Your heart rate at rest is high, so needs checking out. You also need help and advice on how to proceed, so I think a GP visit is wise. Book a double one if you can and take a list of questions.

Good luck with your recovery and any more questions - just ask away.

All the best

Peter

• Posted

Hi Emma. Firstly I don't want to frighten you as everyone is different But I had mine August 2016 and I am only just 90% recovered. Little steps at a time. Just do what your body tells you. If you get tired hoovering stop sit down and you should recover after a few minutes. Pains and heaviness in your chest is normal. We are lucky to be a survivor. Anxiety goes with it I am afraid. How old are you and how was it detected. I am on Apixaban for life. Thinking of you.xx💐

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I am 30 years old. 

My PE was diagnosised by me noticing how short of breath I was getting just from walking up stairs or I would get a chest pain when simply bending down to pick something up. CTPA scan confirmed bilateral PE after an elevated blood test. 

I saw my GP today and he signed me off for 3 weeks so I may recover. 

The anxiety side of things worry me as I can see how it easy it is to become so anxious over future clots. It is literally life changing. 

• Posted

Well done Emma. 😊 Now just take it slowly. You have your age on your side. I am 65 and luckily retired so I have learnt to really slow everything down. But on the downside I did put on loads of weight. Better now been on a diet since May and back to my normal weight.😊 After the 3 weeks see how you feel. This forum is amazing I would have struggled with out it. Live lizzie xx

• Posted

Hi Emma, I have been suffering from virtual constant chest pains since June 2009. I suffered from blood clots in my lung 5 days after spinal surgery. Life has been really tough and the sad thing is other people including Doctors look at you as if you are fabricating a story.

I find walking, sleeping, breathing very difficult as if I am being crushed from within. The after effects of blood clots for some people are equivalent to an internal road crash, with no apparent signs of damage in most cases.

I sincerely hope you are able to recover. Regards Keith.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies! It means a lot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.