Bilateral pulmonary embolisms

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bilateral pulmonary embolisms in the ER. I came in with a headache, chest pains, rib pain, and fever. I thought I had an infection. I was I the hospital for 6 days with 2 needle injections per day except one on the last day. I was sent home with Bayada nurses coming for two weeks. I wasn’t allowed to drive for over a month. The nurses were not used to a young person with this, so most of them were hesitant about treating me. They only take your vital signs and leave. They usually only go to the elderly. Only one nurse seemed to care that I almost died. Blood thinners are very dangerous because the side effects yet they also can prevent you from having a stroke, heart ache, or from dying instantly. It’s a catch 22. When your considered too young to worry about, it’s scarier. I watched YouTube videos & read articles of young people with this. They all feel alienated and frightened. Since everyone heals differently with different issues it is a complicated situation. The podiatrist couldn’t believe the cast caused it after only one week. I’m going to a Rheumatologist to check for an auto immune disease. I still have not seen the pulmonary doctor or heard from him, but I have an appt. My foot still swells & hurts but it is much better out of the cast. Driving is an issue because no one cares about how you get to your appointments. We don’t have taxis or busses near my area. It’s so crazy to send you home without taking care of the matter. If I didn’t have anyone, I would have never made it to my appointments. Age doesn’t matter this illness can kill anyone without warning or with very little symptoms. The younger you are the less likely anyone will think this until it’s almost too late. If I had gone in the ER a day later, I would not be here today according to my nurses. I got there just in time.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am SO sorry for what has happened to you. It is heart breaking. Working in a hospital ( I had a unprovoked PE in September 2017), our Social Workers arrange follow up for our patients. Though in some cases our hospital does arrange transportation to and from our hospital to home for their treatments. I don't know what is available where you live, but contact your provider and tell them your situation. They should have someone there who arranges/coordinates what the providers there order. If they don't, they should connect you to whom they refer when a patient needs your type of services. As for those nurses who gave you such poor care due to lack of knowledge, that's unconscionable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.