Bilateral refractive lens exchange (both eyes done on same day)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Anyone had refractive lens exchange (RLE) or a cataract operation done on both eyes on the same day?  I will be having RLE which is an elective surgery that I will be paying for privately.

It seems that most people have a week to a few months wait between each eye operation.  Having done some research, it seems that more and more doctors are now willing to do both eyes at the same time.  There are some benefits to this but, of course, some potential concerns too.

The plan for my eyes is to do one in the morning and the other in the evening on the same day. 

Wondering if anyone else has done both eyes on the same day and what their experience was like.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had RLE done 12 weeks ago . I had my left eye done first then my right eye the following weeks . The consultant said he does not do both eyes on the same day to allow for any complications that may arise. 
  • Posted

Hi - for cataract surgery in Canada no surgeon would do both eyes same day.  Some provinces want a month in between.  I am in a province where they would consider a week a part.  Due to vacation of my surgeon I ended up with 6 weeks in between.  

Your vision will change up to a month re: healing and time for lens to 'lock in place' and surgeon will base 2nd eye adjustments based on outcome of 1st eye.  For best outcome I wouldn't suggest you do both same day even if surgeon is willing.  

For cataract surgery (since most countries cover the expense) the times. lenses covered and sometimes clinic that perform are dictated however I know private clinics can operate outside those regulations.

• Posted

Its good to wait for the second eye since most would want during the healing period (a couple weeks or more) to have the unoperated eye available still to use normally.  I would want to wait for the 2nd eye at least until the 1st eye had completely healed and was functionally well enough to take over alone during the healing period of the 2nd eye
  • Posted

As others have mentioned, having the two eyes done on the same day is a bad idea. The doctors don't always get the prescription of the lens right. It is often off by about +0.5D to -0.5D. Knowing exactly how the first eye ends up after the vision is stabilized (which can take about 3-4 weeks to know) gives the doctor and you a better idea of the target for the second eye and the lens to achieve that.. Please remember that it is not the doctor' problem if you don't end up with the right prescription for the lenses in the eyes: it will be yours. You will probably have to sign a few pages of potential issues any way, in which they will want you to acknowledge that you understand the risks involved in cataract surgery and the associated lenses.

• Posted

I agree with the others. It's safer to do thr other eye at a later period. Many doctors don't want to risk doing both eyes at once in case there's complication. It's better to be cautious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.