Bilateral ruptured patellar tendons and subsequent insanity

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. As I said in the title, both my knees are trashed. Been in a straight brace for a month. Last two weeks I've had 30 degrees movement in my braces but my legs only move about 20 degrees. I've mostly been lying in bed because I cant sit comfortably in any chair with my legs so straight. I have a two year old son who runs at me and pulls me and grabs crutches when I walk. It is very stressfull because I just cant fall or suddenly bend my legs.

In last couple of days I seem to have forgotten how to walk with the crutches. I stand up and feel like I can't move without falling over. I am getting to the point that I can barely cope with the few daily tasks I have to perform. I presume that this is psychological because of the stress I've been under, but what can I do??? The injury is bad enough without this terrible feeling. Help!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So feel for you. I'm bad enough with just cast on my ankle!! 😢. I too forgot what I need to do once up on my crutches. Few times I've just stood and thought what the hell!!! I'm going to give it a go down stairs for first time in 5 weeks other than hospital appointments. Hope things get better for you soon

• Posted

Thanks Sandra for replying. My friend too said he experienced something similar but not to the same extent. As well he said that it could also be that my muscle tone has decreased because of all the inactivity, but seems like it was a bit too sudden for that. Whatever it is it is quite overwhelming. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Some days I have no strength at all and fee totally exhausted just going from my bedroom to the bathroom which is about 10 foot away. The mornings are worst of all. By the time I've had wash then hopped back to get dressed, I'm out of breath and knackered!! I also have been more depressed on some days more than others., and feel so sorry for myself. Thinks it's all part of the healing process, and hopefully we will come out the other side of? But the things I have read on the forums it's going to be a long hard battle. :-((

• Posted

Poor you Sandra. It must be horrendous for you. I fractured the neck of my femur almost nine weeks ago and, apart from one trip to the hospital for an X-ray last week have been confined to the house all that time. Although it is improving I'm still on crutches/walker to get about. One of the worst things, apart from visits from my family, is the sheer monotony and loneliness. Bored with reading and TV. Weekends are the worst! I too end up very depressed and sorry for myself although I try not to.. Very best wishes for a good recovery yourself (and not too long for improvements to show).

• Posted

Thank you julia. It's hard work isn't it. Once I can put weight on my foot I think I will be a lot happier. All this hopping on one leg which has now made my good knee ache,. At 60 it's hard work. I was always quiet fit up until 9years ago when someone unknown happened to my back which I've suffered ever since. But last few mths been getting physio and acupuncture which had been a great help, this this happens so back to square one. I did feel a lot better this morning, so decided I could try and get dwn stairs and do a Sunday lunch, which had totally wiped me out!! So won't be rushing into that again!! Here's to us all with our recovery, but think its going to take a while. Sandra

• Posted

So, if anyone is still interested. I have the answer. After everyone at hospital telling me that it was psychological, and me reaching rock bottom, not being able to walk at all, I finally rang my old physio. She said that having both my legs straight means that there is a huge load on the spine. She told me to lie on my front. So I slept on my front last night. And I can walk almost normally. Now though the back pain is much more apparent.

For all of you out there who have had both legs immobilised, get every help and assistance so as not to strain your back. This is really important!!! Having impaired feeling and control in your muscles while teetering on weak legs will put you straight back in hospital. Plus destroying your back will not add to the joy of the situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.