Bilateral sciatia

Posted , 4 users are following.

sudden onset mid November on both sides with crippling butt hip calf pain.  Was referred tp pain doc and was initially prescribed antinflamatory, prednisone for a week then moving on to hydrocodone and meloxicam.  Yesterday due to worsening symptoms had MRI and left injection which even though numbed considerably was terribly painful.  Today, I awoke pain free both sides but cannot bear weight on right side.  Cannot even use Walker.  Sitting and standing for short while ok but movement not possible.  Daughter is bringing wheelchair.  Pain doc told me thia am he "will take care of it on Monday".  I am 78 years old and trying to maintain a positive out look.  Has anyone here had this type of problem that tiook away pain but left almost paralysis on one side?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I too have had 6 spine surgeries and endless shots . I too have incredible  hip pain..I'm currently  scheduled  for Mri to see where the pinched nerve is located..

As far as your shots he probably  got close to a nerve and it should go away in a few days..I myself did not recover as fast on last round of surgeries. We don't heal like the young days..my only concern is that it might only be temporary  fix. Ive taken every med,therapy, shots. They are all just bandaids to help ease the pain till they fix the real problem.

• Posted

I was amazed that I had zero pain in my back all my life and the sudden, severe onset.  Doc said it was the "straw that broke the camels back".  I still do not know what the straw was!  The shot into my back yesterday was worse than any other pain.  Went all the way down to my ankle.  No pain on right side.  Thia morning as I indicated I was overjoyed that pain was gone both sides and horrified by weakness causing collapse on right side.  Is this usual.  I am worried what is next, and although doc is on call this weekend, he did say he would see me on Monday.  No urgency for him I guess.  Thanks so much for your reply.  I found this site in uk the other day and there is so much data, info, etc., I decided to use it for myself.  
    • Posted

Me again........the straw that broke the camels' back is your age. If you don't mind my asking another thing...do you have arthritis or Osteoporosis by any chance? I agree with what Paul told you about the injection getting too close to a nerve. I had an Epidural Steroid Injection in my cervical spine 3 yrs ago that did absolutely nothing, and even then, the neurosurgery dept did it under ultrasound guidance. Rest your spine and its nerves as much as you are able to. Prevent falls by rest, ice the lower spine, take an anti-inflamitory like Advil or Motrin and have someone clear your floors of any throw rugs. I still haven't replaced mine in front of my kitchen, bathroom sinks and bathtub.

• Posted

Hello Ginger,

I am soon to turn 67 yrs old and a recently retired Orthopaedic RN who had a posterior approach Lumbar (L4-L5) Spinal fusion with instrumentation and bone graft in early November. I am almost 8 wks post-operative and doing well. My diagnosis was moderate to severe Arthritis of the entire spine, severe stenosis of both the cervical and lumbar regions with a severe cord compression at the level of surgery. I was hit from behind in a traffic accident in 1983 so I was aware of the cervical problems and learned to live with them, but have enjoyed a physically active life until Sept 2013 when I suddenly began having moderately severe lower back pain that progressively worsened over the following 8 months until it forced my retirement from floor nursing. The symptoms I ended with was not being able to stand straight without crippling bilateral sciatic nerve pain and inability to take a step without falling. It was a Cord Compression directly related to the lumbar stenosis. I understand that this is relatively common in older people and especially in older women. I worked side by side with the neurosurgeons at the medical center I was employed and even then, it took another 6 months to get me into surgery. There was an immediate relief from the pain but a slow recovery period while spine, muscles and tendons heal. I definitely had to learn how to take life a lot slower than I have been used to and relied on a simple cane to help steady myself. My children were so funny, making certain that Mom had a rolling walker, a bedside commode, a raised toilet seat. Being a nurse, I knew that reachers were a necessity, therefore I have one in every room as well as in the laundry. Bending is a No-No so I make sure to take someone to the grocery with me and I use the reachers to remove clothes one piece at a time from the washer and the drier. I did not need to use the other medical equipment, but thanked my daughters just the same. As I have said, recovery from surgery can often take 6 months to a year, but I have found that for me, it has been well worth it. Call your medical hotline for the name and contact phone number of a well recommended neurosurgeon. Call with your sudden onset symptoms and ask for an immediate appointment. Make sure they order Xrays and MRI. It sounds like you are experiencing a Cord Compression like I did. If you start falling, present to the Emergency Dept of your nearest Medical Center, preferably where your potential surgery might take place. Pain medication? You can ask, but in the US they tend to not prescribe narcotics for the elderly on a long term basis. Ibuprofen 600 mg once in the morning and again before bedtime helped me immensely, but you should not take NSAIDS if you have other medical conditions or stomach problems. Ask you family physician. Good luck and please keep in touch. I hope my rendition has helped.

• Posted

Ginger, I completely missed the fact that you are here in the states and not in the UK. If you don't mind saying so, what state and what is the nearest larger Medical Center to you? I am in VA. 
  • Posted

I live in Washington State.  I have never been diagnosed with arth. or osteoarthritis except in ankle which is full of hardware from a trimallior fracture 20 years ago.  I have always been the caretaker and in my own mind healthy and strong.  Now, all of a sudden, that darned straw!  I have not had a gradual journey to this point, and perhaps that is why I am just not prepared mentally.  The support received here is invaluable.
    • Posted

So glad to hear that you have a solid support system and please let us know how you are doing. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.