Bile acid malabsorption

Posted , 6 users are following.

So after a secat scan I was diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption, my retention rate was 6.3%. 

I was given colesevelam to help manage it which I have only just taken today. I had a bad episode this morning so had my breakfast and took the tablet. The problem was it stopped the diarrhoea but I still had the pain and the feeling I needed to go, cold sweat and desperate to go like I normally do without the tablet. Has anyone had any experience of this? Also when it started I hadn't eaten anything just drunk some fizzy water (about quarter of a bottle in an hour) does it matter that I hadn't eaten?

i feel tired all the time, keep going dizzy and have started to feel depressed, last time this happened it turned out I was vitamin deficient once I took supplements I felt a lot better but this time my levels were fine.

im just looking for anyone who has a similar problem who can advise on how you manage it. Oh and I have sphincter of odd I on top of this and am due for a HIDA scan next week cry

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Emma! After a SEHCAT scan I was diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption. My retention value was 0. Not enough information about this on the internet unfortunately. I'm OK at the moment after two years of pure hell I hope you are feeling better too. Please feel free to message me. A Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.