Bile Leak from Lapchole

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am not sure I will ever feel the same way after I had a persistent bile leak from a lapchole that was done June 2019. This leak resulted in 2 stents being placed and a biloma. August 2019 I was scheduled to remove the metal stent but the GI could not find it. He said I must have pooped it out. He did an xray to confirm. The entire summer and fall I have had discomfort and pain where my gallbladder was. 2 weeks ago I went to the ER for pain and they ordered and ultrasound. The report came back there was a stent in my common bile duct. I could not believe what I was hearing. I called my GI the next day and he told me to go back to the hospital so he can remove it. They ordered another ultrasound and again the report showed a stent. The GI then ordered last minute a KUB before he performed the ERCP. The nurse comes back and says the GI has cancelled everything the KUB shows nothing. He never came to my room to explain what is going on.

I ordered my medical records to see the images on ultrasound and the KUB. The ultrasound clearly shows a stent and the KUB shows several clips from the surgery. I do not have any confidence with my GI anymore.

Has anyone had anything similar? Can anyone provide insight?

Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I didn't want to read and run.

I had an emergency Lap Chol last October.

To cut a very long story short, I have a stricture and a low insertion of cystic duct. At an ERCP I had a 6cm covered stent inserted to open up stricture, but this stent blocked the cystic duct & gall bladder, but gall bladder had been filled with contrast fluid and not drained. Fast forward after many begging letters and calls (immense discomfort) the stent was removed 2 months later. Sadly, this caused (I believe) my gall bladder to become septic. An emergency Lap Chole with sepsis, followed by a 3 weeks later a cystic duct blow out, again with sepsis.

The stent was put back in.

Now I have an appointment in 2 weeks to have the stent removed. I am dreading it, as I do not want another cystic duct leak. It scares the hell out of me, last one left me 4 week in hospital on IV antibiotics - the side effects from this has taken me 6 weeks to recover from. HB in boots, deficient in Vit D and Cholesterol way to high.

I do feel for you. I am in UK and supposed to be at a hospital that has experts in Upper GI, but apart from 2 doctors, I have absolutely no trust in them! I have ordered my notes, so I can read what they have written about me.

So sorry I can not help with your predicament, but I wish you well.

AG

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.