Bile malabsorption

Posted , 4 users are following.

Also known as bile acid diarrhoea, many people may have it with GS.

"When larger amounts of bile acids enter the large intestine, they stimulate water secretion and intestinal motility in the colon, which causes symptoms of chronic diarrhea." Sounds familiar to you?

Years before my GS diagnosis i knew i had chronic ileitis with no known cause, my doctor told me it did not explain my symptoms. Turns out the ileum is responsible for absorbing most bile acids! Poor intestine is stressed of so much bilirubin and whatnot.

Your bile is made of bilirubin, water and acids. That's why you tell GS patients to drink more water, bile needs to flow normally. The acids are also produced to increase bile flow. Taurine and glycine, which are recommended to GS paients, let the body "absorb" them!

See what your body needs to not feel bad? Our symptoms would be much better if bilirubin could be reduced instead of increasing everything else.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thank you for taking time to post this. I never knew that taurine and glycine help to control that. 

Hopefully other including myself can give it a try and see if it help! 

• Posted

I confess I don't quite get what you are saying.  The diarrhea I am familiar with.  In my case it comes (suddenly) and goes as quickly.    Drinking lots of water works, but I don't understand your comment about taurine and glycine>  DO you think they help or not?

• Posted

From the reports I read, people who tried them felt like 10% better but expected more of the effect even upping the dosage. So no, I'm only using these as example.

• Posted

This sounds very familiar to me.

My ileum has been removed and since then i see the toilet many times a day.

What helps me is a low fat diet.

Is there an explanation for as far as you know?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.