Skip to content
Ad

Gilberts Syndrome

Can you help? Discussions needing a reply

• Glucocorticoid effect on GS

I have been diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome since 4 months after a long way of wrong diagnoses. Its been though for me and I have been so week. It all started when I was stress in exams and caught infection and took a strong antibiotic. And since then my life wasnt normal again. Now I have a cough that...

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Glucocorticoid effect on GS

I have been diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome since 4 months after a long way of wrong diagnoses. Its been though for me and I have been so week. It all started when I was stress in exams and caught infection and took a strong antibiotic. And since then my life wasnt normal again. Now I have a cough that...

Posted
  • Misdiagnosed with gilberts syndrome? Possible hep c!

Hello everyone! I wanted to share my experience to see if anyone here has been misdiagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome.  I was diagnosed with gilberts syndrome when I was about 13. This was because our family doctor had discovered my mom had hepatitis C, and wanted to test the rest of the family...

Last reply
  • Gilberts and Exhaustion

So I was diagnosed with Gilberts a few months back, even though I've known I have it for many years (my mum has it too, and its hereditary, so it only made sense). My biggest problem at the moment has been a constant crushing exhaustion, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?...

Last reply
  • Recently diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome

Hi  I am 46 and just been diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome due to bilirubin levels in blood being high on last few blood tests. I have had my gall bladder removed 20 years ago. The doctor told me that it is purely hereditary but no one else in my family has been diagnosed. She also said she...

Last reply
  • How a Doctor can say I am GS?

Lab results always showed my bilirubin level high out of three or four tests. It was always up and Down but never below normal. Liver functions are normal but only problem is bilirubin. Is it a real finding that I am GS? Also, I took vitamin d and omega 3 for 3 months for my cholesterol. That resulted...

Last reply
  • Help with my teenager with Gilberts & Spherocytosis

She was in hospital for 3 months in London last year and lost 2 stone. This year she has been good, put on the weight she lost, and seems healthy. But, she gets these bouts of diarrhoea, sickness & jaundice - all she can do is sleep. Does anyone have these symptoms after having the gallbladder...

Last reply
  • Vitamins

Could a vitamin (or something else) deficiency explain any of the GS symptoms? Do you have any? I'll try to do a B12 test next month.

Last reply
  • All my life .....Stomach trouble

Hi, I am 45 years old and suffered with so many stomach symptoms over the years that I hope this information might help someone to not feel alone!!   As a child my stomach would make me lie down and rest and often my appetite would be very small. When the bad stomach passed I would be able...

Last reply
  • There is hope for Gilberts! I promise

Im a 25 year old male who has been suffering from Gilberts Syndrome for about 4yrs now. Initially I had no idea what was wrong, especially since my whole life Ive been very healthy.   One day  when I was about 21 or 22 I began experiencing severe abdominal pain that would send cold...

Last reply
  • Gilberts Syndrome and a giant hepatic cyst

Hi! I've known that I have Gilbert's Syndrome for about five years. It was discovered incidentally and, apart from an intolerance of alcohol and fatty food, I have never been aware of any symptoms that can be attributed to it. Having read what others have written on this forum, I guess I'm...

Posted
  • Bile malabsorption

Also known as bile acid diarrhoea, many people may have it with GS. "When larger amounts of bile acids enter the large intestine, they stimulate water secretion and intestinal motility in the colon, which causes symptoms of chronic diarrhea." Sounds familiar to you?...

Last reply
  • Ther is hope for Gilberts Syndrome! I promise

Im a 25 year old male who has been suffering from Gilberts Syndrome for about 4yrs now. Initially I had no idea what was wrong.   One day I began experiencing severe abdominal pain that would send cold chills across my body, as well as diarrhea  7-10x a day, Fatigue and Anxiety for years. ...

Last reply
  • Doctors need to do more research on Gilberts syndrome

My 10 year old son has been diagnosed twice this year with GS. Both Paediatrician's have said it's psychological and he needs to see a dietician. Never mind that my son can hardly walk, is fatigued, suffers severe stomach pain 24/7, nausea, muscle pain, breathing difficulty and forgetfulness....

Last reply
  • 18 year old son has yellow eyes....

They have progressively been getting worse over the past 4 months. I should have gotten him to a doctor the second he came home and said his friends were telling him his eyes were yellow. I thought just a bunch of kids being paranoid. Long story shortened...i saw last week his eyes were yellowing. His...

Last reply
  • Diet

I have seen many controversial posts about the effect of calcium glucarate in patients with GS, what has been your experience with it or other supplements? My stomach cramps a lot during the day and there is no other explanation than my GS diagnosis, many here suffer as well with ghost symptoms. Also...

Last reply
  • Caffeine and yellow eyes

Anyone know of a connection? I was diagnosed 19 years ago and my eyes have been yellow ever since. They were actually the clearest during my pregnancies, which surprised me. The only thing I am think is that I totally cut out caffeine while ttc and during pregnancy. I REALLY don't want to give it...

Posted
  • Gilbert's Syndrome - Sport - tiredness - diet

Hello! Can anyone explain how the liver process bilirubin (in case of GS)? I was diagnosed with GS, I run, bike and other sports, my worst symptom is that my legs feel tired even after a break (everyday feels like the day after workout) and I feel sooo tired after carbo meals.  Any other...

Last reply
  • Bilirubin lev

Good evening . My mum passed away early March and I stopped looking aftermyself and tried to help everyone else. Had blood test done just to check my health it can back with a bilirubinlevels of 48 reapeated test 11 weeks later and it dropped to 36 . If been told I might have gilbert syndrome. I'm...

Last reply
  • Older man new to group

Hello everyone!  Great to find at least one group that is composed of actual Gilbert's patients.  I just thought I'd post a short note with my symptoms and story. I'm 63 and retired.  I am a few pounds overweight (according to my BMI),.  I eat very correctly and exercise...

Last reply
  • Hypochlorhydria, possible cause of GS.

I had CFS, and Gilbert's for over 10 years. Just discovered that I have low stomach acid and cannot digest protein. This condition is called  "hypochlorhydria" and has all kinds of negative side effects, including putting a lot of stress on the liver. This condition gets worse as one...

Last reply
  • Gilberts Syndrome No Symptoms, you having a laugh?

Hiya Guys, I was diagnosed with Gilberts Syndrome a while back and told I would have no issues with it, wrong! I always feel sick, tired, can't concentrate very well (which doesn't help in school), I get brain fog very easily. All this affects my daily life, especially in school! Doctors just...

Last reply
  • Gilberts Syndrome as an Athlete

My Struggle with Gilbert's Syndrome In 2016 every one of my fingernails turned a deep shade of purple. Being a generally healthy person, I was naturally concerned. So I visited my doctor and she instructed me to wait it out. A few weeks later my nails were a funny shade of yellow. My doctor ordered...

Last reply
  • How were you diagnosed with GS?

Hi all, I recently had a blood test done to check liver and kidney function and general bloods. My bilirubin levels were 43 umol with the normal levels being < 20 umol. My GP has said this is probably Gilbert's Syndrome but hasn't offered to do any further testing/monitoring to rule out any...

Last reply
  • GILBERTS SYNDROME

I was diagnosed with Gilberts 53 years ago I was 17 at the time. I was told then that there was nothing that I could do about it .My levels are in the mid 70s . I have found that stress , hard physical work , sickness , can bring it on . I was told that I would die with it and not from it .It has been...

Last reply
  • Does Gilbert's syndrome cause anxiety.

I have been diognosed with GS. The Doctor told me the high amounts of bilirubin in my blood is the cause of my yellow skin around my eyes especially when I drink alcohol or take any medication. I have been suffering with anxiety and find it very hard to socialize with new people, I also find it hard...

Last reply
  • GIlbert's Syndrome and the Nervous System

Hello! I am a 22-year old male and I was diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome last June. I started feeling chronically fatigued a couple of months after moving to London, UK to study from my native Poland (3 and a half years ago). Initially, I associated all the negative symptoms with living in a...

Last reply
  • Always tired!

I originally went to the doctors with crippling stomach pain. After what has now been 50+ Blood tests multiple ultra sounds the doctors have done nothing. Each time I have a blood test they refer me and prod and poke me to tell me nothing. I have given up since they're not going to help me in any...

Last reply
  • Bilirubin and skin colour

My 6 year old has suspected gilberts. Her bilirubin has been high for a while now. It is normally around 70ish but getting higher each time they test. Last week it was 155. She has blood checked regular as she has other medical problems such as diamond blackfan anemia meaning she needs blood transfusions...

Posted
  • Liver pain

I'm a 29 year old male who has been having right dull abdominal pain that comes and goes for about 6 months now.. I'm worried I have fatty liver because I have been eating a lot of junk food for along time now. Im 135 lbs but have been slim all my life. i have not seen a doctor because I don't...

Posted
  • gilberts syndrome and pain

hi, I am 43 yrs old and just been diagnosed with GS.I have had terrible pain in the rt rib area for ages,has anyone else any experience of this? The pain comes and goes and alters in severity.My other main symptoms seem to be nausea,dizziness and anxiety.The medical books say i should be symptom free...

Last reply
  • New to gilbert syndrome

Hello I am 24 male just been diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome, just wondering I am always depressed and struggle with anxiety I have just started taking anti depressants - sertaline, would these interfere with my GS ? I am always feeling sick and stomach pains how can I deal with this ? Is it stress?...

Last reply
  • Brain fog issues

I'm 35 I was diagnosed with Gilberts syndrome about 3 or 4 years ago, I get the usual symptoms stress, tiredness and brain fog but my brain fog is more like 'in one ear out the other'. My memory sometimes is that bad that once I finish a sentence I forget what we were talking about and when...

Last reply
  • yellow eyes

Is there anything to help produce the enzymes we need to break down bilirubin? I was diagnosed at 21 and I am a mild case accoring to my doctor, however my eyes are often jaundice and have never been white in color a day since. It gives me a complex when speaking to people I hate to look them in the...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.