Starting to believe my fatigue actually might be GS...Somewhat relieved and yet...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Many years ago, during a blood test to which I do not remember why it was given, I noticed I had a high Bilirubin level, if memory serves me right of about 4.5. This was probably in my early 20's and I am now 65 years old.

Knowing back then that I tended toward being overly influenced with a leaning towards hypochondria, I paid it no mind and simply knew that my Bilirubin would always be high on blood tests.

Currently and for the past few months or even a couple of years, I have noticed and accepted that I am fatigued often. I'm retired and have great control over my life and have just adapted life to this feeling. Yet, as I have improved my diet, exercise and the like, I still am feeling this fatigue and often tired with less stamina than I used to have.

Surely, mental attitude and more of a pressing need to do more things does get me moving. I can press through the feelings of fatigue and feeling tired but since I usually am in complete control of my schedule, I have given in to a less active life.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about 18 years ago and that too is a very murky diagnosis with symptoms that can be pretty much anything. Yet my MS has thankfully been very mild!

I have always stayed away from reading too much about MS as well as I felt I can be too easily influenced and I can wind up blaming MS for just about anything.

Yet here now, and for literally the first time, I am feeling and believing that all my life I have felt the tiredness and fatigue that is a primary trait of Gilbert's Syndrome! It's wildly double edged.. I'm relieved that it's not my heart or anything else and have just completed an exhaustive physical that went very well.

Again, no doctor has ever mentioned Gilbert's to me in my life. In a way I am thankful and yet now, it really is making sense to me and might be the missing link of my life..

I'm always blaming myself on a level for how I feel.

Now that I am leaning towards Gilbert's being perhaps the main reason I feel fatigue, I would love to hear other stories. Has anyone been able to define a particular GS spell and what might have preceded it and how long have they lasted? Or is it this one long condition that just always exists and we rise up when needed to do what we have to do.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.