Exercise and Gilberts Syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All

I have just been diagnosed with Gilberts, after 18 months of wondering what the hell was going on with my mind and body.

I never used to get anxious or stressed and was able to Run and mountain bike alot with ease and I felt great.

I'm kind of glad I have found out what is the most likely cause of my fatigue and dizziness that comes and goes randomly.

I am freaking out about whether I can still pursue the endurance type running and mountain biking as this has been my life for along time.

I have pretty much all but ruled out enjoying a beer with friends now.

Does anyone know if exercise is actually damaging the liver, my GP didn't seem to think it would be any issue, other than I would likely feel more fatigued.

Also has anyone had much benefit from milk thistle or digestive enzymes ?

from the vast array of information I have read it sounds like GS can cause a number of nutrient defficiencies and I wonder if this is the bilirubin in the system binding to nutrients or effecting the absorption.....

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Logan,

Nothing much to add here other than to tell you Milk Thistle done nothing to help me. It was one of the first things I tried and if anything it made my symptoms worse.

Vitamin D has helped me. Though the biggest factor I believe is diet. Avoid processed, eat fresh, drink LOTS of water.

Good luck.

• Posted

Dont ever touch milk thistle, enzymes and other useless substances. Your liver will be fine if you for example sweat a lot (helps we detoxification). Fatigue means thyroid problems. Before it is too late - do a blood test on all vitamins and metals. Copper, magnesium and B vitamins will help with fatigue and after workout-recovery.

• Posted

I've found that milk thistle works for me in that I also have non-alcoholic fatty liver (NAFL, almost certainly related to GS). Decaf coffee is also supposed to be good for NAFL.

There are lots of common genetic variations in humans, and GS probably interacts with other mutations in ways that are hard to predict. E.g., I can't drink any form of alcohol because even a sip will make me feel ill. Sometimes just the odor of something like hot Sake will cause the same effect. But there do seem to be a few things that are common to GSers as you'll see in the post and comments here.

Strong exercise can result in fatigue for many people with GS. I find that all I can tolerate is moderate exercise like power walking, otherwise I become exhausted and it takes quite a while to recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.