Diagnosed with Gilbert’s Syndrome... Going crazy, How long does your jaundice last??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

Like many of you, I have been diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome, but still so concerned it could be something else.

I'm a 37-year-old female, with 3 little kids, and trying to take care of myself as best as possible, especially for their sakes.

My questions are:

1. How long does your jaundice last? Ive been having yellow in the corner of my eyes for almost 6 months!!
  2. Could it be cancer somewhere else in the body, and secondary in liver, even if all other levels are fine except for billirubin? I have sporadically experienced pain under right rib cage and upper right back, but an ultrasound appeared everything was normal.
  • Billirubin went from 3.4 (November) to 3.8 (December) to 3.3 (March)...
  • Ultrasound appears normal.

Im holding out hope my experience has something to do with hormones. I stopped breastfeeding my baby late last summer/ early fall and Im hoping this is my body just getting back to normal.

love, peace and healing to you all

Kate

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Kate

the first thing that i'd say is - stop worrying. Yes, I know that's easy to say but stress can make this thing worse.

My first experience of this was when I was 25 and a routine blood test showed a raised bilirubin.

I had been under great stress at the time.

I spent 2 months undergoing every test that they could think of liver x-rays, kidney x-rays, gall bladder ultrasound. I even had a spell in hospital.

That pain under the ribs on the right is, for me, so annoying and it's what made me reply to you.

I have had doctors tell me that you don't get pain with Gilbert's but I always have. My wife finally learned to notice when it was there. She's the only person who can see it.

By the way, i'm now 70 years old.

The bad news is that I still get bouts of pain but i'm still here LOL, so stop worrying that it's something else and worse.

Gilbert's, for those that get symptoms or otherwise know that they have it, appears to affect everyone differently. For me, the main thing has always been to keep up the exercise and keep my digestive system working well.

Sorry to not be able to say do this, do that. You need to find out what makes it worse for you. Fatty foods, Alcohol whatever it is. But, don't worry.

John

• Posted

Your chances of getting cancer are greatly increases with increase of physical pain you experience. Pain will make your body cancer-prevention mechanisms weaker. Regarding jaundice after pregnancy - it is default feature and yes it is related to hormones. But more important is that your need for vitamins and metals rises very high during breastfeeding because you transmit these substances through the milk. I suggest you to do blood analysis of vitamins and metals. Main metal is copper. Cant advise to take copper during breastfeeding because it alters brain development very strong (in a good way, but it is not safe), but it is a good manner to correct your copper levels to be slightly higher than the middle of the reference right before pregnancy even though it will make your child really different from others in terms of intelligence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.