Gilbert Syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have researched Gilbert Syndrome Significantly and it is a highly complex genetic disorder.

I would like to hear other opinions and start a discussion about the unassociated risk factors

My basic opinion is -

Gilbert’s Syndrome should be described as a liver dysfunction due to a deficiency of at least 70% of the UGT1A1 gene.

UGT1A1 is the only enzyme available to convert bilirubin to a non toxic form.

Due to this deficiency of at least 70% depending on which polymorphism exists/ variant.

There are approximately 130 variants of Gilbert’s Syndrome which can only be proven with a genetic sequencing test. Some variants present a higher deficiency of the UGT1A1 gen than others.

*The NHS in the UK will not perform a genetic test.. and do not associate Gilbert’s Syndrome as a variable disease

I believe that Gilbert Symdrome should be considered and associated with an overall liver dysfunction which is totally variable depending on which variant the patient has.

The UGT1A1 gene is responsible for converting bilirubin to the non toxic form but also responsible for the detoxification of

Medication/ drugs

Plastics

Toxins

Alcohol

Chemicals

Also some toxins and chemicals have been proven to be substrates.

Overall I believe a deficiency with Gene UGT1A1 can impair the body’s detox ability, potentially leading to a number of health problems.

This is variable in severity dependent on which variant is present.

I believe Gilbert Symdrome can be a deficiency of UGT1A1 of at least 70% to possibly 90% +

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello, dear dane37006. You are 100% right - gilbert syndrome is a liver dysfunction and in fact a very harmful disease with risk of irrevesible physical and mental damage. The thing is that this disease is very niche and dont drag much attention because of low chance of extreme health outcome. By the way it is still possible to detoxify organism even with UGT1A1 deficiency. Main goal is to prolong erythrocyte life span (copper helps), get rid of toxic food, maintain high energy levels (magnesium and all B vitamins) and detoxify with sweating.

• Posted

GS does has some downsides but it also has a major upside: The unconjugated bilirubin acts like a detergent in the blood and so it is associated with significantly improved cardiovascular health and significantly longer lifespan, as measured by increased length of telomeres.

E.g., I'm 70 and my doctor ordered a CT cardiac calcium scan because I also have very high cholesterol levels. For my age and cholesterol level there is almost always some heart blockage, sometimes to the point where surgery is recommended.

I had a score of 0 on that test, which is more consistent with someone in their 20s or 30s. So for this genetic condition there are certainly some not so great aspects, but there are also some really favorable aspects too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.