Does Gilbert’s Syndrome affect anyone else this much?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was diagnosed with Gilbert's syndrome earlier this year, and it looks like i was unknowingly having its symptoms as far back as 2018.

Anyway, pretty much since 2016, I've felt like rubbish everyday to varying degrees, so I was actually happy to receive the GS diagnosis as it answered a lot of questions. Unfortunately, it's also left me with other questions that i have no idea how to answer. Here are symptoms I have daily:

Nausea

Fatigue

Yellow Eyes (never goes)

Brain Fog (never goes)

Itchy legs

Anxiety (varies)

Acid Reflux

Gastrointestinal discomfort

Headaches (moderate to severe)

'Toxic' Feeling

I know many people have these symptoms, but I'm feeling pretty alone in terms of how it affects my daily life. My profession means I'm doing a lot of sitting down, so I wanted to take up something active as I was worried about cardiovascular health and overall wellbeing.

I tried running in the mornings - I lasted only a week, running about 3 times per week for 20-30 minutes with proper warm up and cool down. By the end of the week i felt like I'd run all day, everyday, and felt like I'd been poisoned. Appetite was non-existent, daily severe headaches and all if the symptoms i mentioned seemed to be 10x worse.

I've tried everything i can think of in terms of exercise. No matter what it is, I'm left feeling the same way after several days, if not immediately, and I feel like the slightest bit of activity (even walking more than 30 minutes) can do this to me. This is getting me down a lot because i feel like even though i want to be fit and healthy, I'm unable to.

Because if the loss of appetite, I'm struggling to put on weight. At one point in my life, I weighed over 100Kg, with a low-body fat percentage in my lifting days. Now, I struggle to get over 73Kg. Everytime I make an effort to eat more - a couple of days in and I'm hit with this brick wall in my stomach. Intense nausea and a totally absent appetite. This has also caused me to miss out on a lot of nutrients which is also impacting my health.

I'm lucky to be able to meet 70% of my daily requirements for most vitamins and minerals. When I do reach 100%, as mentioned, it lasts only a couple of days and I'm unintentionally fasting because I physically cannot eat. I know I'm deficient in vitamin D, and when i take the supplements, I always feel worse, and then better when I stop.

These symptoms seem to have affected every area of my life either directly or indirectly, and honestly, I don't know where to go from here. I can't enjoy food I like, exercise, sleep, do stuff with my family, because it always leads to a bad episode, resulting in days, sometimes weeks of having to recover from it.

Is there anyway to actually live a normal life with these symptoms? Anybody get them this bad and this frequently?

thanks for reading!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.