Bile Reflux gastritis remedies

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed in 2016. A few months afterward, I started having abdominal pain when I eat my first meal of the day. It typically comes in waves for about half an hour, but the duration varies. Every now and again, the abdominal pain begins to cause my stomach and my colon to spasm. On those days I typically have to run to the bathroom, after which I tend to find relief. The pain returns every day when I consume my first meal. I usually do not feel pain during my second meal. Along with the abdominal pain, I also have nausea, a full feeling even with a small meal, lethargy, and bloating. I was recently diagnosed with Bile Reflux Gastritis and put on a medication called Carafate. I am reluctant to begin the Carafate due to many bad reviews stating the side effects can be truly awful, along with the fact that the pill is huge and difficult to swallow. I am looking for any advice for how I can treat this in a natural way. I already drink chamomile, ginger, and fennel teas, and I take a digestive enzyme/probiotic blend with every meal. I am desperate to find relief as the pain seems to only be getting worse. I don't leave my home anymore unless absolutely necessary. I cry often due to the pain and stress. I'm afraid to eat, but also have pain if I don't eat. Please help me. Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

so sorry to hear, and sorry i dont have too much advice because i have the same problem, i had my gal bladder removed in 2013 or so, but even before and even so more after i had these problems, i never have an appetite in the morning because i know ill get sick, really hot showers help a lot with the spasms, its only a bandaid though, but if you havent done this yet start with as hot as u can handle on ur abdomen, and also back and neck, than go hotter, it will stop working as much as you keep doing it though.

• Posted

I would avoid ginger if you have reflux because it is acidic. If you can tolerate milk, that is more soothing on the stomach. Ask your doctor about Bile acid malabsorption which can occur after gallbladder removal and causes diarrhoea. It is diagnosed via a SECHAT scan and there is treatment if you have it. Try to avoid fatty foods since you have no gallbladder.

• Posted

Thank you for the replies. That's good advice for the spasms Dennis. I'll try it. My mother has bile acid malabsorption due to gallbladder removal, so I'm familiar with the symptoms, but I don't think that's what I have. I tend to have mild constipation with random and infrequent bouts of diarrhea. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I tend to stick to small low fat meals and it doesn't seem to help the pain. Whether I'm eating a fatty or low fat meal, the pain still hits usually around 15-30 minutes after I begin eating. I don't usually have heartburn or reflux, so ginger tea is ok for me. It helps with the nausea. If anyone else has any advice, I'd be grateful to hear it.

• Posted

One more thing! I've had multiple CT scans, MRI, and an endoscopy and their was nothing abnormal in any of them. My gastro wanted to see if I had any inflammation in my stomach in order to confirm bile reflux gastritis, but she didn't see anything which makes me wonder if I really have bile reflux gastritis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.