Bile reflux indigestion and Barrett’s

Posted , 8 users are following.

For past 11 months have had persistent indigestion daily, week in week out. Seen GP who gave Peptac liquid. Referred to Gastro Consultant who did gallbladder ultrasound as endoscopy and ct normal 3 years earlier when i had similar symptoms. Was normal, carried on putting up with it as felt like a nuisance. re referred myself and had gastroscopy last week. Shows Barretts Oesophagus, a tiny hiatus hernia, gastritis, a stomach full of bile as the pylorus was wide open. I take many medications already none of which really help, Omeperazole,Ranitidine, Peptac, Sucralfate.

Waiting for biopsy results to grade Barretts which is a worry in itself, obviously bile in the stomach isnt good and can I believe increase risk of gastric cancer. It also explains the persistent symptoms. Does anyone have experience of the Pylorus not closing and how this is treated please. Thank you.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey, just had a question. I have also been suffering with (what i believe to be) indigestion on almost a daily basis for months now when i eat food. What are your symptoms? I want to see if what i experience is similar to you?

Omeprazole worked for me for about 4/5 weeks and then stopped working. Gaviscon works amazing when i get heartburn (which isnt often, its mostly indigestion) and sometimes it helps prevents the heartburn but thats the most success i've had with it.

• Posted

Hi Amanda main symptom is persistent indigestion, a heavy blocked uncomfortable feeling in my chest, epi gastric area and when its really bad feels like its choking me. Sometimes its there as soon as I wake up, if not by the time I've eaten breakfast there it is. Generally I have it all day and usually goes away early evening but more recently I still have it when I go to bed. I have occasional heartburn and nausea. None of the medications have helped if your symptoms mirror these then ask for endoscopy. I feel annoyed with myself I've suffered and struggled on for 10 months because a Consultant made me feel like a hypocondriac saying I dont think we'll find anything. In fact have found several things which are possibly serious particularly if the Barretts biopsy shows high grade dysplasia. good luck.

• Posted

hi Molly, thanks for your reply. Our symptoms sound quite different. I normally experience a heavy pain across my back a couple of hours after eating and the only relief is to make myself sick and that doesnt full take it away. Ive had many sleepless nights because of tossing and turning when its really bad. I get heartburn now and again but not often. A lot of the time i struggle to burp without parts of my food coming back up. Does any of this sound familiar to you? I'm not even sure if what i experience is indigestion to be honest...

• Posted

Hi Amanda no I agree our symptoms sound very different. What you describe doesnt sound normal. Have you had any investigations? I'm a nurse if you havent already ask your GP to consider checking your gallbladder and pancreas.

Molly

• Posted

hey, ive described my symptoms to the doctor and they always tell me its just indigestion and heart burn. I'll need to go see them again and get them to look into it further for me

• Posted

My oesophageal sphincter opens when it shouldn't and causes acid to spew out. Not sure if this is what you are experiencing thoughGaviscon and milk really help me.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa this is one part of the problem but its bile rather than acid which refluxes back. The other issue apart from the Barretts (caused by the bile) I think is the amount of bile in my stomach because the pylorus isnt working properly. Still waiting for biopsy results to see the exent of Barretts. I drink milk every day along with the long list of medications nothing seems to help unfortunately.

• Posted

Maybe you need a stronger antacid and a higher dose. Ask your doctor for that. My grandad cured his stomach ulcer with milk.

• Posted

i have experience with this but i'm sorry not how its treated because i have the same problems, no medications for nausea or acid reflex/Gufd help,, although unlike you, they said my gal bladder was or working at 7% so they removed it, still didn't get better if anything worse, managed it without working going to school or living, than they found a what they called a "hiatle hernia" which they tried too fix things which made them really worse to where i went from 230 pounds too 120 pounds in less than a year, and now am loosing weight even though I've been eating and not puking it up..

• Posted

hi thanks for reply, that doesnt sound great for you. Maybe you need to think about a second opinion especially if youre eating and losing weight. My gallbladder was fine on ultrasound I think the two things I need to fix/get answers about are 1) the Barretts which is know is a precancerous condition, am still waiting biopsy results to confirm the grade this will determine whether it gets treated now, or I go onto surveillance. and 2) the amount of bile in my stomach and why it seems the pylorus isnt working. I discovered today my consultant hasnt listed me for any follow up, and the earliest I could see him was October! Have made enquiries to try and sort this out - seems you need to be on your A game where your health is concerned. Good luck with getting your symptoms sorted.

• Posted

Dennis why is the hiatal hernia making you lose weight? are you having any other symptoms since the surgery?

• Edited

My bile reflux is gone after I started to drink yarrow tea. You can buy dried yarrow and drink one or two cups a day.

• Posted

How long were you drinking the tea for before you noticed an improvement and do you have to continue to drink it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.