Biliary stent left in for 15 months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, 

I had a biliary stent put in in October 2013 whilst in hospital for gallbladder pain. I then had a Cholecystectomy ( gallbladder removal) two months later January 2014.  The gallbladder was seriously diseased and had attached to other organs. They had to do only a partial removal and I had an internal catheter in for 3 days. I was kept on the day surgery as there were no beds available on the wards. I assumed that during the Cholecystectomy that the stent had been removed. This was a resonanle assumption because when I went for the post op meeting nothing was mentioned and I was discharged. 

Like others on this forum, I had felt a pulling deep inside my stomach. A tight, digging, uncomfortable pain especially noticable when twisting, bending or lying on my side.

i assumed it was the healing of the partial gallbladder removal.

It has now been 15 months since I had the stent placed and over the last 6 months the stomach pain mentioned above has gotten increasingly more painful.  Too long for it to just be a healing  Cholecystectomy. So I started to wonder after reading these forums if the stent was still inside. Especially since many mentioned 4 - 6 weeks after having a Cholecystectomy, lots of people reported having the stent removed. Something that never happened To me. 

I must point out, I have a serious back pain at the base of my spine and take trammadol and fentanyl patches for the pain. So cannot help but wonder if the heavy opiates / morphine masques the pain in my stomach. 

I contacted my Doctors but they could not tell me if the stent was removed during the Cholecystectomy. I then rang the secretary of the surgeon who performed the surgery, thankful that I had kept the appointment letter with nhs number. The secretary panicked and said that I should have had the stent removed but there seems to have been a mistake. She can see the note saying I needed the stent removing but was discharged and they have forgotten. I complained to Tameside Hospital and they are apologizing and not suprised I have been in discomfort. 

Now to the question. Am I in my rights to ask for general aneasthetic to have this stent removed considering it had been left in negligently. I do not want to go through the horror of the flexible tube again. Being held down and the pain of the guided tube / camera when they placed the stent. They said they were sedating me but I was wide awake and felt everything. The pain of the tube was excrutiating especially because I have an extreme gag reflex. I cried for hours after and was shaking for the shock. 

Can i have a General aneasthetic ? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have to say this whole ordeal is shocking! I don't know if your in the UK but you need to complain! I would go to PALS in the UK.

I would definitely say that after their mess up then if you want a general then they should give you one. If they won't then I would want a guarantee that they would sedate you so heavily you couldn't do anything.

They might have to do a general anyway, after being in place so long, wouldn't the stent be a bit difficult to remove?

I hope everything turns out ok for you.

Gem

• Posted

Holly if I was you demand a general anaesthetic!! They should be bowing at your feet after what they have put you through!! If it was me I would be threatening to sue them! Thameside have a dreadful reputation so you go in all guns blazing lovely you have gone through enough! Let me know how it goes xxx
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies. 

I have been told the pain may be due to the stent migrating or possibly attached ( where the body grows into / round the stent ) 

who do I need to ask for general aneasthetic from ? Is it the refferal from Doctors or when I speak to Tameside hospital ( UK ) 

the complaints department could not appologise enough for their oversight and negligence. Stating they hope that it can be sorted as soon as possible for me. 

My husband wants me to sue for pain and discomfort from the negligence. 

I just wonder if they gan do anesthetic for dentristry, does that mean for these circumstances, can you demand general anesthetic ? 

• Posted

As sandynan said due to their negligence they should be bending over to make you feel comfortable!

Will you be having a pre-op or seeing a consultant before hand? This would be when you need to mention it. I would also mention it to ur GP maybe they can write to the hospital for you?

And I would definitely think about suing. A bit of compensation would be nice for you!

But I think you are within ur rights to have a general especially if the stent might cause issues on the way out.

• Posted

Hi

If I were you I would follow your husbands advice and sue them - too many mistakes are being made and people left suffering for far too long. It really shouldn't be happening.

I'm having my gallbladder removed nxt week after 6 months in agony, doped up to the eyeballs on high strength pain medication. If you treated an animal the way the nhs is treating human beings you would be prosecuted.

Hope that you soon get your stent removed and under general anaesthetic.

• Posted

It seems to me that after having suffered like this because of a mistake made by health care, you can ask for anything, especially if it makes you more comfortable. I hope this is the solution to your pain.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi

Did you manage to get your stent out under a general? I've got to have my stent removed as i have just had surgery and i absolutely hate those ercps. I had 2 in 2 weeksin January before i had surgery . Had loads of complications. Pancreatitis , i had a bleed had to have 4 units of blood 3 weeks in hospital (o have to say i couldn't fault the nurses i was looked after well) but like you i really don't want another ercp as i too am awake fully after around 15 mins, the second time they also throat sprayed me which made the tubes in throat easy once i woke up but the scraping inside was awful i just wanted to turn over but it's not possible. I asked to a general after the first one but said it's not possible as they need too access your throat and cannot put the tube in. I really hope you got sorted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.