Bilirubin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've just had a liver function test and all is normal except for a bilirubin level of 41. I'm wondering if two operations to remove a large part of my bowel and later my gallbladder could be a cause of the elevated results? The readings have varied quite a lot over the last 10 years or so, the highest being 55 prior to the gallbladder removal. Other readings were high as well then but they returned to normal after surgery. Any thoughts? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

John

I'd suggest nothing to worry about. My billirubin was around 70 and docs were not concerned - they just said I had Gilbert's syndrome (but I think that's a copout based on ignorance!). With good diet eg AIP, and other wellbeing changes initiated by other/unrelated issues and symptoms, its now slightly over range at ~22. My dad's doubled quite rapidly from ~17 after statins but is back in range after stopping. Are you on any medication?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I take Celiprolol, Quinapril and Plendil for high blood pressure daily and aspirin as well. A testosterone boost every three weeks, (getting old) and recently B12 injections monthly. I haven't touched alcohol for over 11 years. Not a drop! I don't smoke. I'm 72. As I wrote, the bilirubin is often normal. But this last one was a concern, to me anyway. Thanks again. 

• Posted

So increased billirubin may be side effect of one or more of your medications. Googling can answer that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.