Bilirubin levels - Can anyone help?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, i previousy posted on here regarding my stomec and digestion issues i have been getting. After many many tests the doctors have come up stumped. My conjugated and Unconjugated levels are normal but my overall Bilirubin levels are high?

I have been suffering from bad digestion issues over the last 2 months and the most recent thing is a dull, stick like ache in my liver?  

Can anyone shed any light on the above????

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an ultrasound of your liver?
    • Posted

No its booked in but it can take up to 6 weeks! they did say that is shouldn't be that long, after the Ultrasound i can see a liver expert. 

The weird thing is that 3 doctors had a meeting about my results and none of them have a clue as to why my total count is high?

• Posted

Maybe the ultrasound and liver expert will be able to work it out.
  • Posted

In a lab one measures the total bilirubin (TBil) and the direct bilirubin (DBil).

Since the measured "direct bilirubin" more or less represents conjugated bilirubin,

it is also called "conjugated bilirubin".

The 'unconjugated Bilirubin' or also indirect bilirubin (even it is not exactly the same due to some albumin bound amount, but correlating well) is never measured,

it is CALCULATED:

TBil-Dbil= indirect Bilirubin

Hence I don't understand how conjugated and unconjugated can be normal but the total bilirubin level being high?

The value of conjugated plus unconjugated should give you the total Bilirubin value.

(I would need to see the exact value with units please)

There seems to be some calculation error in it.

The question is also: how high? High is not high.

(In detail:

Direct bilirubin is sometimes higher than actual conjugated bilirubin since it also measures bili bound to albumin. Indirect bilirubin value is therefore calculated sometimes lower than actual unconjugated bilirubin because some unconjugated bili reacts with chemicals that are measured in direct bili test) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.