bill60703

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi haveing suffered with RLS for many years and never finding anything that would help me get a good nights sleep i just put up with it, I don`t take any medication because of the side affects, How ever on a reccent stay in hospital for one night i thought it was going to be a nightmare pestering nurses to help me out of bed to walk around. i went on to the ward at 7 oclock and was just waiting for the RLS to start up as i lay in the bed i could feel this slite squeeze on my calf muscles i asked the nurse what i was and she said it helps to prevent DVT the gentle squeeze wet from my left leg to my right at about 5/10 second intervals,To cut a long story short i lay in the bed for 15 hours and never moved an inch i could not belive it  i had not lay that still for as long as i could remember, It could have been the drugs as i had had an operation but i came round very quickly and i don`t think the drugs would have lasted that long, On returning home the RLS was back,I am trying to hire the kit to try it out just to make sure it was what i hope it is, the device is called the huntleigh flowtron ecel DVT pump. has anyone else tried a device like this instead of going down the drugs use.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wonder if the relief is not the result of nerve stimulation by the compression. A TENS machine would, I believe, be cheaper. I read they do also help RLS sufferers, although in a few cases they make it worse. Might be worth trying one before forking out for an SCD.
    • Posted

Hi RobertT because it alternates it is the same as walking around just keeps the blood flowing.
    • Posted

I guess one should be as open-minded as possible at the current time to get to the heart of the RLS problem, but I wouldn't immediately suspect it's got to do with the blood supply in the legs when it comes to RLS.

Dopamine is neurotransmitter related to control of movement. Why the legs are particularly or most generally affected I don't think is too well understood. Some seem to think that it's an overreaction to sensation in the leg that sets it off, maybe there is some unconscious sensation relating to venous insufficiency or maybe an SCD just provides the brain with a stronger neural signal that allows it to consider alls OK (or maybe it's something else). Maybe a TENS set up tends to be less convincing to it than an SCD.

• Posted

To be honest i don`t have a clue what causes it what i do know spending years taking drugs is for me not the way to go, Could it be as simple as fooling the brain into thinking your walking about keeping the blood flowing while at rest certainly worth looking into and safer and cheaper than whats on offer now, Onward and up ward. 
    • Posted

It starts for me when sat in the evening...I only have to get a little itch...and it sets it off. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.