Billing/Femto/NY Medicare

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Mom had Femto 11 months ago which the doctor charged her 2800- for. He was insistent that the cataract was so dense that this was the only way to do it with a good result(this was the second doctor who said only to do Femto). She did not want/get specialty lenses. I understood that this was not covered and would have to pay. My mom did sign a form but it was checked off where the doctor was still supposed to submit the bill but never did. I have learned alot over the year. I did not know that a doctor could not charge for the Femto unless he was placing a specialty lens or doing a astigmatism ketatotomy. Neither of these things were explained. While doing the exam really just 

in the air said and while I am doing the laser I will fix this small astigmatism. I never thought anything about it or even knew what it was. It just seemed that while removing the cataract he could fix something minor. In the original papers my Mom signed I could barely read what was written besides Femto and thought nothing of it. I now know they wrote LRI which I now have learned what it is and it was never explained. My mom never even knew she had an astigmatism and certainly would not have done it. This was the way the dr could charge her. She would not have agreed to pay 2800- for this procedure. Her cataract sugery in one eye has been bad/blurry since 3 weeks after surgery. She had Yag 3 weeks ago with no positive result. She went to the dr yesterday and her vision is worse since the Yag. It was 20/70 after the Yag and 20/60 before. After the cataract surgery she was seeing better than 20/30. He says the cloudiness is gone yet my mom sees worse. He now says the lens has fallen back a little which is why her vision is worse. Then why put her through the Yag for no reason. He assured her the vision would be as clear as after surgery. He pretty much said the only thing to do now is get glasses. I have done nothing against this dr but now I feel he charged 2800- that he should not have. I really need an advocate/help as to what to do. Can My mom get copies of my moms records from the dr? She had previously seen another dr who also wanted to do Femto and was pushing all these specialty lenses. I am getting those records to see if she even had an astigmatism that needed surgery on. I am just tired of these dishonest doctors. I just read a local dr I had gone to has to pay 7 million dollars because of fraud. I did not want to proceed with this grievance until after she was done seeing him. He know just said come back in a year. Thanks for listening. It is all upsetting especially since she cannot see well.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I remember reading your story last year.  Very sad someone would take advantage of seniors this way.  It really is a buyers beware World we live in.  

Frustrating.   I do not live in USA but is there a board or org that is in charge of your national health system?   Only thing I can think to suggest is to write to them with your supporting documentation (or better business bureau)?   Getting a lawyer and going through a lawsuit often times is an additional expense with no guarantee you’ll get your money back.   But if it doesn’t cost anything to report your experience to some governing  board it would be worth doing.  This kind of practice is dishonest and shouldn’t be allowed.

• Posted

Not sure if I got you right. So this 2nd doctor charged your mom an extra US$2800 for using a Femto during her cataract surgery, where an astigmatism ketatotomy (AK) was performed at the same time to justify the extra charge?
    • Posted

Thanks Sue.An. I would not be tempted with a $1000 Steveston pizza that was $850 last year and only $450 six years ago. That's the crazy West Coast.  :P   McLobster for me any time.  smile

From AAO's site, AK/LRI "is less common today due to very good results of laser vision correction with either LASIK or photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) in the correction of corneal astigmatism and the use of Toric lens implants to correct astigmatism with cataract surgery."

The fee for AK/LRI is about $1200 for both eyes, on top of the use of a Femtosecond Laser. If one is to seek legal venue, may want to cover all the bases. The patient in lieu of Toric lenses (specialty lenses) opted for the LRIs.

• Posted

I do not even know if AK was even done. I do not even know what that procedure is. He just mentioned while examining my mom that there is a small astigmatism and he will fix it at the same time. I thought nothing of this until afterwards. 

I

• Posted

On the forms it says lri . I thought LRI was done for an astigmatism. When I looked over the papers initially It said Femto and lri was written in such a way I did not even know it was something in addition to Femto. He never said anything about LRI. 
    • Posted

And the laser should have been no charge if us d just for cataract surgery - no premium lenses.  Dr was quite underhanded to not explain charge of laser used due to astigmatism correction.
    • Posted

I feel your pain.  Can you find out from the 1st eye-surgeon, what kind of specialty lenses he recommended to your mom, was it Toric lens (to correct astigmatism)? If as you said, your mom never needed Rx glasses prior her cataract surgery, why would he even recommend any specialty lenses?

Once you are very very sure that your mom never needed any correction of astigmatism, then approach the 2nd eye-surgeon for clarification of the matter.

• Posted

Prior our cataract surgeries, we got a printout of all the charges ~ the costs of 3 different type of lenses (standard, toric and premium) and to pay the hospital directly.
    • Posted

Yes me too all charges for my Symfony lenses I paid prior to the hospital. 
    • Posted

That is exactly why I am upset! Nothing was explained. He simply said that Femto was the only way to go and it is not covered. I understood that and paid him not knowing that he was not legally allowed to bill me unless there was a specialty lens or an LRI procedure. My mom was not getting a specialty lens and would never have agreed to an LRI procedure for 2800-
    • Posted

When we went to the first surgeon I knew nothing of what Femto or specialty lenses were. I just thought that only traditional cataract surgery was done with regular lenses and that it would all be covered by Medicare. We were in for a shock when he told us that he only would recommend Femto due to my moms dense cataracts. He pretty much made us feel that this was the only choice for a good outcome. He gave us a pamplet filled with different lense choices ranging in price from 1600- to 1800- per eye. My Mom did not wear glasses before the surgery. I would think the reason he was giving us a list of specialty lenses was so that he could charge for the Femto. I told him I would have to do some research about this because 3500- is alot of money that we were not expecting. I just did not care for this doctor and we never went back to him. As far as the astigmatism issue I just wrote to the first Dr. and requested of copy of her records including if there was an astigmatism upon the exam. 
    • Posted

My apologies jillie280 if I came through as a devil's advocate. If indeed you are dealing with rogue surgeons, two of them in a row, you want to get all your ducks in a row.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.