Bimalleolar fracture

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had ankle surgery with 2 K wires(on the medial malleolus) 8 weeks ago, and the cast was removed 2 weeks ago. Now I can walk with only one crutch, but my ankle is still swollen and sometimes it hurts.Is it normal or it means it's not properly healed?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like your doin pretty good it hasn't been that long yet, give it time.

• Posted

Hi Sophie, my left ankle is still a little swollen and I had my surgery on Friday, May 13th.  I also still have a little brusing.  It's been 6 months for me and this is TOTALLY NORMAL to have.  It may last up to 18 months or more. 

?I'm still limping.  Some days, it's not too noticeable and others, it's very noticeable.  This too, is normal. 

?I haven't really had any pain or pain issues yet (thank God).

Beth

• Posted

Sophie I would talk with my Doctor. Your foot is still healingoing. Patience is the game we gotta play. These things are not a quick fix
  • Posted

Hi Sophie

Absolutely to be expected...took me 12 weeks just to stand!

Think about it, our ankles are so small to carry the weight of our body...and when we step, the momentum increases the force our ankles absorb...as does the rigidity of the surface we are walking on...

So, your ankle still needs to be kept elevated above your heart and iced as much as possible.

For icing I prefer the flat gel packs you can purchase from your pharmacy. They remain frozen longer, they do not leak, you can continue refreezing them, and they come in various sizes. Typically I prefer the cervical shaped gel pack because you can wrap it around the ankle.

That your surgeon permitted you to weight bear after 6 weeks tells me that you are healing well.

kind regards

• Posted

Hi,

Thx for the message. I ll keep it elevated with ice on it.

The surgeon permitted me to weight bear after I did an x-ray to my ankle. I think the healing time also depends on the age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.