Binge before a big change?

Posted , 7 users are following.

As I've posted elsewhere on the forums I am about to see my doctor in a couple of days with a view to discussing using Selincro to reduce my drinking.

The problem is that since I made this decision I've been drinking even more, double in fact. Pretty much jumped from 1 and half bottles of wine per night to up to three.

My partner says this always happens when I make a decision to try and change. Does anyone else notice that when they make a decision to change and set a 'start date' that they go crazy in the approach to that date?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi odishon, i did the same. i got referred to the alcohol service and at my first meeting we talked about cutting down and, instead of doing that, i went absolutely mental, not a conscious decision, it just kind of happened.... drinking more, drinking earlier etc. 

now that i'm taking the pill i have cut down by at least three-quarters and feel really good, don't feel like i'm missing out or anything and don't feel that nagging craving all the time.

good luck :-)

• Posted

That's great it's had that effect. I can't imagine feeling like that about booze but most people on here does say Selincro had that result for them.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who loses it a bit before a planned change!

• Posted

odishon, ...... as you will have seen from my posts I have just re-started the process ....... I found that talking about it, and in a way procrastiating, trying to plan the event just prolongs the anguish.  Selincro is working for me I feel ....... I was on a bottle (big) plus of vodka plus larger on a bad day and a bottle on a good one.  I decided enough was enough ..... told by those close to me to get-a-hold ...... detoxed over a long week and then started Selincro ....... for the first few days I took the pill but had nothing to drink was hellish with the side effects ...... these have passed and I am now into a planned approach where I have a pill at around 4.30/5.00 p.m. and then enjoy a couple of beers ..... either we walk to the local of have a beer in the house the intent is to get the drug into the system and then start to manage my drinking ....... if I plan to have a drink I take a pill, if I do not plan to drink I will abstain from the pill.  Non drinking day today, ...... so no pill.  Return to the city tomorrow will probably have a drink so I will take the pill around 5.00 p.m. and manage what I have ..... tend to loose interest after a couple ......  I intend to try and manage the drinking so that I can pace myself over the coming months to use Selincro in a way I have learnt from this forum ...... the objective will be to try and eventually manage myself.

I would avoid trying to plan a specific date it will only encourage that "one last binge" (and we have all done it !!) ...... if you have access to the pills then the best experience is to use them and hopefully you will, Iike I have, start to enjoy the benefits.  Please, please ..... do not take me for some preacher ..... I have been as low as it can get and have managed to drag myself back ..... with the help of others ....... there is a long way to go ..... Paul described how Selincro should be used,  others had not that lack of knowledge led to my first failed attempt ...... not to be repeated.   GOOD LUCK ....... yer can do it !!

• Posted

Thanks Anthony.

The planning for me has been due to the fact I had to wait three weeks to get an appointment with my doc as he was away. Also this week I've had to start reducing my intake of prescription strength Co-codamol and at the beginning of next week I have to be clear of it for two weeks before I start the Selincro.

I have been tempted to just try and get the Selincro myself but I thought following advice on here I'd at least try the proper route first.

So it's more circumstances setting 'start dates' than it is me choosing to. But I do see where you're coming from as it's the date setting which triggers the 'end of an era' binges.

Sounds like it's working for you which is very encouraging so thanks for the info. I am hopeful.

• Posted

HI Anthony

You certainly have a busy life style and I personally cannot give advice concerning medicines since I did not take any before I stopped drinking. However, you seem to drink a lot less and have a long term plan which is great. You have taken medical advice and you have followed Paul's advice on this forum and he knows what he is talking about   smile Keep going and all the best to you!

• Posted

Thanks Robin, ....... ultimately sticking to the plan is the obvious challenge, Selincro is helping and the discipline must be maintained ....... the dicsussion in this forum helped significantly in the process; the information with the medicine is good but I found it somewhat misleading and it was not until I engaged in this forum and saw Paul's comments regarding use that my failings became apparent ....... and thanks for the good wishes !!
    • Posted

Anthony can  you tell me in your experience how long did it take to fully see the benefits of using selincro?  I'm kind of confused as I had great results the first night - it really slowed me down - i'm only taking it about 6 times now but i still feel like drinkiing !!!  i have slowed a bit but not as much as some of you and I'd like to cut right right back. i have been completely stressed out of late trying to get stuff for exams finished, maybe thats it!  help
  • Posted

Yes I have done the same. It's like cramming it all in before hand. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.