binge drinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello, i have been a binge drinker for 20 years. My consumption averages 80 units per week which i know is far too much, i can go for days without but have incredible cravings resulting in a bottle of wine being necked in 30 - 40 minutes. A bad week can be 120 units when counting. Have had 3 sessions with ADS + other counselling but i am told that it's not that bad compared to others. This year i considered not going back to ADS as they said they would do follow up phone calls and never did; i don;t want to bother them. Don;t like the public face of AA but want to be someone who can be strong enough to stop.

4 years ago started with physical jerks and after 3 years of neurologists input; noting that they couldn't diagnose anything despite whole body shaking; surprised they didn;t suggest alcohol. Don;t get sweats and cope with hangovers by doing exercise and herbal teas, so i sweat from binges and not from the days when i m alcohol free.  I wouldn;t say i have the shakes in the morning, just top half of body and stomach jerks uncontrollably early evening onwwards, some medicine like keppra having been suggested. I get however a huge sense of warmth and energy from drink, in a funny way it helps with clear thinking but after i bottle i normally can't stop. Have awful habit of mixing as well, strong cider, wine, hardly ever spirits. Always has to be at least 13.5 %, drink wine from a pint glass, i know its bad.

The future being a social drinker is diffiicult to envisage, also being tee total; its not being able to drink slowly, i don't know how this compares with others but 50 units in 24 hours was the high and on some occassions i can just have 1 pint. It's at least 2-3 times a week though doing 2.5 bottles with 3 being a max.

I m not sure what i want to try to do by posting, would just be interested in feedback and other people's stories. Doctor said i wasn;t eligible for CBT and although i m sure they knew, once i had had a few before an appointment, i m aware that i can consume a bottle without anyone noticing any change in my appearance. The irony is that the kerks i know are caused by drink but drink also helps clam it down. I know i need to give my body a break and have done so for a 9 month period and also 8 weeks  / 53 days, telling my mind that  i can't drink and that its poison etc, but then there's a trigger.

Sorry for a long post, not easy up in Scotland either! Not drinking today

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie

I only found this forum the other day and people have been really helpful.If you have the ability to go without some days ,then there must be a way out?I drink every day ,my daily units will be lower than yours but may add up to being similar over a week maybe.I'm trying Nalmefene ,I think it may help .Have you seen this drug? There's an open discussion on this forum and others should you want to look.Good luck and keep us updated ?

• Posted

Thank you - i will look into this. i think the concern is being inconsistent and having days on  / off.

yes, i m hoping that this forum will help - by providing updates to keep motivated

• Posted

Nalmefene was released on the NHS in Scotland over year ago I think.It's only just starting here and it's not easy some times to get it from your doctor,I had to buy on line.You have a head start on us up there!
  • Posted

Hi Jamie,  i am 7 days in with 1 slip only beer, i too deink wine and the nutty cider which over the last 3 months i have been having for breakfast and then wine for the rest of the day , i been an alchoholic for as long as i can remember , gave up for 6 months about 12 years ago but since then i have been drinking lots everyday, it took the docktor and tests to tell me only a qurter of my liver was working for me to try again to stop but its bloody hard as you know , i dont know much about binge drinking cos i just self medicated with alchohol every day i also have not tried meds but i have been told i should do. this forum has helped lots so stick with posting and hope you find the strength, i cant see my life without drink so i just say the old aa stuff like im not  drinking today mabey tomorow i will mabey not.  good luck
  • Posted

Jamie, you are physically dependent on alcohol and need a detox. I don't know what your local services are messing about at.
    • Posted

Hi paul, thank you for your honest response, i agree and will ask them to do something more definite.
  • Posted

I am now 3days without a drink after having had 3 bottles of wine and half a litre of port on wednesday night took definitive action and re-referred myself for help. [ they can also get CBT for me]

I have always thought that it would take a major event or worsening drinking to enable change. i can only say it has worsened as i know that what i drank on wednesday was well over 40 units. I usually would have 'recovered' in the morning if it was a weekend by starting very early - often before 5 a.m then going back to bed or from 6 a.m - i m sharing this to give people hope in the sense that i do feel ok after 3 days and think its about trying to be strong, setting some goals, i started to volunteer for example [ although i work full time] and am paying off a credit card £5 a day on the basis of that being a bottle of wine - so the money saved is going to a better cause. [ although i spent loads more]. That could be well over £1500 in 12 months.

although i still get consistent tremors, mostly late evening and did so at 5 a.m this morning, walking, fresh air, water and i should have regular contact now with a counsellor.

The tremors are when mostly my upper body shudders and my head also nods. Something i don;t want to live with but whcih started 4 years ago.

I  m interested to see all the posts on here,  i have always known i have had a probelm and when i succeed is when i tell myself i CANT drink as in not allowed to; although tremors still there it gets better after 2 weeks.

• Posted

You are doing very well, Jamie. One thing I must say though, for the benefit of others who read your post. Alcohol withdrawal symptoms are extremely dangerous and can even kill. If a person gets shaky when they try to stop drinking, they MUST seek medical help in the form of an alcohol detox and drink enough to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms until that detox starts.

Will power alone is not sufficient to get through the withdrawal symptoms if they turn to Delirium Tremens (DTs) because that can result in a seizure, breathing can stop and death can occur.

If you are ok after three days you are likely to be past the danger period, but it really isn't a risk people should take.

Well done to you for getting through it, though, Jamie smile

• Posted

hi paul, thanks for this

i always thought it was just hands shaking which was a sign of withdrawal.

yesterady i also had what i assume is anxieting, not in any way hallucinating but thinking there was someone behind me when i was walking to the shops and when i stopped and looked back and also feeling very self conscious avoiding people, can this be normal

day 4 and i have paid my extra £5 as a reward to my credit card already.

• Posted

Shaking, sweating, insomnia and anxiety are all signs of withdrawal, but the level of shakiness is a good indicator of whether it will turn to DTs which is when it gets dangerous. Having said that, DTs can suddenly come on so it is sensible for anybody who gets withdrawal symptoms of any type, to avoid stopping drinking without medical help in place. Detox is the only safe way for people to stop.
  • Posted

Thank you again

It has been 9 days without  now and i didn;t think about it over xmas. i ll see how the skaking goes , it 's worse at certain times of day and i l get medical advice.

• Posted

You have gone 9 days without drinking? You won't get physical withdrawal symptoms now if that is the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.