binge drinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys can someone give me advice on why our bodies crave alcohol i seem to binge for a week often not rembering were the week went to. Then i suffer for about three days not eating and being sick although it is only water that i drink loosing weight and memory loss. My husband also drinks for the same amount of time. I can go for a week or so then when i taste my first drink (wine) i cant stop, then wake up either during the night or first thing in the morning i start drink cider and the cycle continues until i become ill i know i am damaging my health but cant speak to my GP for 

other reasons for any medication to support me to come off drink,help !!!!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

why the AA WHAT SUPPORT CAN OFFER AND IS IT CONFIDENTIAL

A

• Posted

I thought my drinking was 'social' for years. I believed that everyone drank like I did and what was the point in not drinking anyway? It progressed and the sense of restlessness and not being a part of, the anger, fear and depression increased and my drinking increased. I could stop for a couple of days, very rarely; weeks even. When I finally got honest and looked back, I could see that I was thinking about drinking when not drinking. I would obsess about staying sober and then always, and I mean always, return to drinking alcohol. During those self-will periods of sobriety I was moody, tired, worried and angry. My 'self-will' and 'self-reliance' failed every time. No matter how much I seemed to want to not drink I would always return to drinking. The memories of what my drinking was like before are the attendant suffering would not be there. They were conveniently forgotten or simple did not come to mind when I was going for the 'one drink'. Then came the next realisation and honesty. When I did go back to drinking booze, I had absolutely no control over the amount I would drink once that first drink was in me. I had no choice in the drinking, Hence, another session would begin and I would finally come round a few days, weeks or months later with the usual remorse, terror, hoplessness and despair.

This went on for years.

I tried an NHS alcohol worker and rehab, I tried moderation. I could not stop on my own. ​My drinking did progress. Remember, I was just the usual drinker, 'hard' yeah, but this just proved I was a man; the rest couldn't drink like me and I was in control. Let them drink their wine and leave the pub before closing time. Let them live their lives; I have my bottle at home. I'm alright. How wrong I was and how the booze had me, not the other way round.

My alcohol drinking and the loss of control did progress. From drinking down the pub and drinking 'socially' at home I went onto being arrested. By this time I had been prescribed pills for depression and anxiety by the doctors. I kept on drinking. They missed the absolute problem in me to which my solution was drinking. I started to self-prescribe heavy doses of benzoes to stop the shakes and keep me in 'balance'. I only ended up on the merry-go-round of both alcohol and sedative. The came the hospitalisations and strapped to a nurse, an asylum, sitting with terrifying ghosts tormenting me for days after a three-month bender and being separated from the alcohol suddenly by doctors. Suicide seemed like a good idea. Then one final blowout in which I remember nothing but the first and last drink. This was a straight ten-day no-memory session. I did not plan on that. I went for the one. Then a locked-in detox temple and I gave in. I surrendered. I finally realised and admitted that alcohol was the boss and I had no power over it.

I called AA and asked them to take me through The Steps.

I am 9 months and 16 days sober. I use The Steps of AA to not drink today. I tried everything else. It didn't work.

AA is confidential. I used a false name for the first few times. Funny, I wasn't concerned about letting my family, friends etc. see me drunk (which was not always a pretty picture), yet I did not want anyone to know I was going to AA.

My name is Richard and I am an alcoholic.

• Posted

Hi angela31316 , AA is totally confidential- who and what happens at the meetings stays there - as for support, in AA you will find other people who have problems with alcohol and will offer you advice and support in your battle- alternatively you could go to an addiction counsellor, this is the route i took and found it very helpful- best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.