Binge Drinking.....think it's time to quit

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

just looking for some support. I am binge drinker. I drink on social occasions and more often that not parts of the night are always hazy. I dont drink on a weekly basis for the mere fact that i can not handle the anxiety and depression that comes with it. my partner is a recovering alcoholic so we never have any drink in the house. i just seem to go well with out drinking (could be up 2 months alcohol free) then as soon as i have a drink i find it hard to stop drinking...very rarely can i have a sensible drink....i kinda know i have to give up as i get so paranoid the next day...any advice out there? thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Considering your partner making a massive effort i think you should stop completely like i did. I couldn't stop and always did binge drinking for many years. Google the c3 foundation and the sinclair method. It will be a great life. Trust me since i am sober for 6 1/2 years. Best of luck my good friend. Robin

• Posted

I can sympathise as I'm a binge drinker as well and can't stop once I start. I'd love to be able to go out and just get merry like I used to...but I can't. I also have health issues which mean I can't drink heavily. There isn't anything you can do about it unfortunately. The fact that your partner is a non drinker is a good start. Go out and do other stuff. Alcohol really isn't all that!

• Posted

yeah suppose some people cant drink and i am one of them...yeah need to

• Posted

Does your partner feel the benefits yet of having given up drinking?

I'm not sure how long he's given up for but can you see the changes in him for the good?

I think that if you can see the positives in him then this is the best place to start as you too could feel like him!!

It's not easy but you have a great start as you will both be reading from the same page.

As daisyjo has said 'alcohol really isn't all that' and by giving up with him, you already have great home grown support.

Keep us posted as to how you are getting on.

All the best

Claire xx

• Posted

yes he has been in recovery for around 6yrs which is amazing...i see loads of positive changes...i think i need to try and see the bigger picture. my mental health suffers after the binges or nights out...i could be 5 days still analyzing the night...and beating my self up.

• Posted

U r being very honest and u r definitely read for change...

• Posted

yes i definitely feel like it is time thank you for your support

• Posted

Yes, I can so identify with that. I used to feel mortified for the next few days not knowing exactly what I'd done or said. Even in an environment where everyone was drinking I just seemed to go that extra mile and get totally off my face and then, like you say, spend ages trying to justify to myself what I'd done. When people would comment about my drinking 'You must have a headache this morning' - 'Here she is - can't believe how much you drank last night', it would kill me inside but I'd just crack a joke and not learn for the next time.

You can do this - I can honestly say (after 25+ years of heavy drinking) that I enjoy myself so much more without drinking. It's not easy - I still feel like joining in and have just one glass of wine, but I know that it wouldn't be just one. I keep asking myself, what's the point of having one glass of wine, it's not going to make me feel any different but it will put me in a position of having another one and then another, so I don't have that first glass.

Easy to say, harder to do, but, I promise you, it will make such a difference to your life.

So well done for getting to this stage and huge respect to your partner for 6 years sober.

You have the support you need right there in your own home.

Grab it and use it and here's to a new alcohol free you!!

Keep us posted.

All the best

Claire xx

• Posted

hi,

thanks for your support. yeah sounds like me taking it too far...yeah its never one with me either just cant seem to do that...yes i am very lucky to have a partner that doesnt drink make this a whole lot easier 😊

• Posted

yeah 1 too many and 10 never enough for the number of drinks for me. I live in place where aa.is really strong. so grateful for no more horrible hangovers.

Courtney

• Posted

I can do great for about a month or so then i forget about the horrible side of drinking and go out then im back to square one 😒 i glad u find aa so helpful...

• Posted

Greetings- I can completely empathize with your drinking and with how you are feeling. I had a huge problem with alcohol myself until I began going to AS. I absolutely hated the thought of the whole AA thing but finally gave in and on September 13th I will have 6 1/2 years sober. I have a ton of new friends who love me and I love back unconditionally. we go to concerts, rafting, camping. Yesturday we had Fellowship day that is a potluck of delicious home made food, bbq and AS meeting at the park. Most of all sobriety has given me myself back. I lost who I was and now I am a sober, dignified women who holds her head high. I love AS now.

• Posted

Have not seen you here before Courtney and we are both sober for 6 years+. Me actually 7 years 8 months but i never went to the AA. Did i myself. Had 13 months old twins when i decided to stop and they are now 9. Never looked back😃

• Posted

hi

thanks for reaching out. yeah i need to find my self again and leave the drink behind....i am lucky that i dont drink every weekend could be once a month but i go and get hammered...the emotional anguish keeps me away from it the month then i go out and do the same thing again....im sure if i kept on drinking that the time i go

without a drink would lessen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.