Binge eating cold turkey or gradual reduction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I have Autism (I was diagnosed with Asperger's at around five years of age). I have had various anxieties throughout my life, including one that was particularly bad at 18 (I am now 24)

I was put on Pregablin and Olanzapine for anxiety. I have suffered with unofficial, undiagnosed binge eating disorder for around three years.

I have tried everything from writing notes and guides to stop it and lose weight, to doing posters with self-care quotes, to buying weight loss and binge eating books, to getting them out of the library, to exercise, to speaking to my doctor numerous times, to portioning, to thinking about and coming out of various diets such as Raw Till Four Vegan (I was vegan and am still veggie) to a diet that I created myself.

I have recently come across the idea of looking after yourself as well as you would your own child. I want so, so, so, so, so much to achieve this, but I always give into my addiction. I really enjoy binge eating. It has become something I do for pleasure. I think it would be easier to cut down on my binges gradually rather than go cold turkey. What do you think? Also, please state if you are doctor or not...

Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi ,im not a doc or medic ,but i have worked with quite a few people who are autistic or aspergers. In almost every individual they had issues regarding food,some were obsessed with food, some couldnt tolerate certain textures colours,a few had really bad ocd s around food. its only a suggestion but maybe do some research of the coloration between beingbon the spectrum and food

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.