Binge eating in night whilst on setraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi,

i am new to this but has anyone had the following problems

have have been on setraline 100mg for a whiles ans all i crave is sugar. i will binge eat chocolate every night and its driving me nuts! Has anyone had this experience and can anyone help. all i want to do is eat chocolate, especially at night. its got to the point where i wont eat anyth8ng else in the day because of so much chocolate the night before. i even tried to put it out of the way and didfficult to get to so i dont wake the whole house up but am at a loss. thanks

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi sue, i don't take sertraline but know i will never take any other anti depressant either. i was interested to read your post though and just wonder what this drug has done to make you crave sugar. do you like sweet chocolate, are you pre-diabetic, does it taste so bad that you have to take the taste away, do you take it at night? i hops someone helps you with this, whoever prescribed this to you needs to be told what it's doing. good luck.

• Posted

hi sam, many thanks for your reply. i have always had a sweet tooth but was always able to control it The other thing i didnt mention is i have been classed anorexic. i was bulimic for many years but thankfully this has now eased off. but to me being anorexic and eating so much chocolate does not make sense. i am guessing i am craving something anything as i do not eat anything all day,, well chocolate. its just making me crazy as you can imagine. i am getting help for this and am hoping one day i will get better. i have always been funny with weight and food for decades but never binged on chocolate. i will go to my doctors ans see if i can lower my dose and see if it helps. i have started to eat fruit and nuts but even though im full i still have the craving. fingers crossed oneday i will post that i am in control again xx

• Posted

dear sue,

i am afraid most antidepressants make you hungry.Have been on qutiapine for ever,and only recently have had contraindications, restless legs,increased heart rate plus "zombie" eating at night.

I have read other blogs with people saying the same thing.

Will your doctor consider reducing medication?It certainly worked for me!

Hope this is a help,but if you need any more clarification, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,Richard

• Posted

dear richard

thank you for replying to me. yes zombie earing is exactly that and drives me insane. i didnt mention before that i am anorexic but am getting treated for that i have had an eating disorder for a few decades and as you can imagine sick and tired of it but the chocolate thing is mad. i will go to docs to see if i can reduce my medication. many thanks again and ill keep you updated xx

• Posted

I Actually watched a talk show on this topic many years ago, it was when the model, Tyra Banks, I had a talk show.

According to the experts on that show this condition is known as actually watched a talkshow on this topic many years ago, it was one of the model, Tyra banks, I had a talk show. According to the experts on that show this condition is known as "Trance Eating," and really is a thing.

Not that it has help my situation, but it is reassuring to know it is real and it’s not only affecting me "Trance eating and really is a thing. Not that it has help my situation, but it is reassuring to know it is real and it’s not only affecting me.

• Posted

hi ya,

that is really interesting, damn annoying but im not going mad!! WOW you couldnt make it up really.. thank you so much for letting me know if i ever figure out how to stop ill let you know ive even though of taking sleeping tablets to see if that helps but thats only a temperary fix i do wish you all the best for the future x

• Posted

I take Ambien on occasion it can help or make matters worse . on a positive note I have noticed that when I break the cycle, it does stop for a while. its almost like retraining my mind and body.

Another thing I have done was to keep something sweet on my nightstand whether it be candy gum, etc. and have that. almost like im giving my self the permission to have something- maybe its a control issue but it curbs the behavior for me. I also just remembered I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich last night ergggghg

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. To elucidate, I am a 37 year old male living in the United States. My poor eating is always at night as well. I have always had issues- to the point I use to chain up the refrigerator and pantry because I would sleep walk and eat. If the medication has steroids in it, that will contribute to the hunger. As silly as it sounds I chew ice to quench hunger- it has done a number on my teeth but helps. Personally the medication may not be the best fit or something appetite suppressing could possibly be incorporated maybe Wellbutrin?

• Posted

hey many thanks for your reply and advise. i did fail to mention i am anorexic but i dont get the bit about chocolate. having this illness for many many year i was always in control and would never eat chocolate but i have lost the plot lately. i will go to docs and see if i can reduce my meds. many thanks again and good luck to you x

• Posted

I have also suffered from eating disorder type issues and honestly think some of it comes from not taking in enough calories for the day so things go crazy at night.

• Posted

hi ya, yes i know i have a serious problem and i do control my eating in the day well to literally nothing and do get full up very quickly on coffee. i will try and leave and few m&ms by my bed and then hopefully will fall to sleep without any more. the other thing is 8 am a very light sleeper and wake 3 or 4 time a night and there lies the problem as that is when i will eat choc even though im full well think i am. i always have half a sarnie at night with crisps and a zero coke. ive brought lots of seeds to go with yogurt but again after m6 binge i wont eat anymore. a very vicious circle. i do know the best th8ng is not to buy the damn stuff but it is a comfort things and i do need calories but just good one. thanks ofr your thoughts and 8 hope you enjoyed your peanut butter and jam sarnie!! XX

• Posted

Well it is better to eat chocolate than nothing! Seriously though it sounds like your diet is lacking certain nutrients which you can only find in chocolate so your body is craving it. Could this be the case?

If so there are other substitutes for it (but nothing quite so satisfying) which might help quell the urge.

I gave up smoking and put on 3 stone in weight coz I madly craved sweet and fatty foods including chocolate. I think it was the effect of stopping on my body which made me crave it so much.

I am glad you are getting help for your anorexia and you will solve this one in time. I am quite confident of that. Take care. x

• Posted

hi ya,

thank you so much for your comments and nice words. yes really tricky one this is but i am being positive and if i so indulge i am trying not to punish myself so much. i do smoke and could not stop well for obvious reasons but i do hope in time i will be able to move over this nightmare situation and love me for me. love and light and i wish you all the very best for the future x

• Posted

Bless and thank you. I wish you the best as well. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.