Bingo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I may be premature about this but after 4 months on 20mgs of cit, I have had a whole week of normality ! I know I can't quite belive it. After suffering all of the side effects, I and the feeling things were getting worse, all of a sudden I have had a clear week. Even the Anxiety, I keep waiting for a panic attack or sadness to sneek up and catch me unawares. Whilst no Sex drive, Made love with the wife and had an end result too.

Is this too good to be true and a false sence of security or could this bee the normal. My wife feels that perhaps I need to stay on for life and I do not wish to go back to the way I was and dont want the comming off downs either.

I really just wanted to give some hope to everone out there that wonders if things get better.

love to all

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

That's great news, so happy for you.

I'm still waiting for my good week.

Small steps though. Enjoy your happy times smile

• Posted

Well I really hope it continues for me, and sorry you are not at the same stage, how long have you been on the meds for ?
    • Posted

It's my fourth week so at the beginning of my journey to fight it off.

The worst of side effects are fading away so I'm hopeful.

• Posted

That is good to hear, I found that I had covered off most of the side effects then after two months became very dizzy, thats all cleared up , you may find the panic attacks keep comming back but Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

If you are ever unsure or feel down please feel free to message me 

• Posted

Thank you. I will smile

Yes, panic attacks and feeling of total dread - still have these. Starting CBT on Wednesday.

Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Yes they are the worst and you feel helpless waiting for the next one to come along, Two weeks ago I was driving when it happend, not to be recommended, I havont had CBT I am on a list but like most things its a waiting game, please let me know how you get on as I didnt really know what to expect so will be useful to know how you ket on .
  • Posted

Good for you man. At the end of the day, as long as you feel all the pieces are in place and you're at peace with yourself, it shouldn't make a difference whether you are on the meds for life or not.

Personally speaking I weaned off them because I couldn't take the lack of sex drive, but they have made a difference for me in terms of lessening my depression and anxiety. And if done right (i.e. gradually and BY NO MEANS cold turkey), coming off them can be relatively pain-free. I'm now off for almost 3 weeks and the withdrawal symptoms are in remission.

• Posted

I have been reading up on cit, ever since my gp started me on them last Wednesday.  Mine are not for panic attacks or anything like that.  Purely as Im going through an acrimonious divorce, and I genuinely couldnt 'cope' any more.

However, as I said (and being a nurse) Ive read up about it, and am mortified to see it can increase your weight, due to slowing down your metabolism.  Ive lost over 11 stone over last two years, half my body weight.  Have YOU gained any weight at all?  And what about your appetite?  For the week Ive been on them, now Ive read bits and pieces about it, I have found Ive been 'picking' alot more, and unfortunately it has been sweet things.  I'm going to make sure I dont 'pick' anymore now!!

Re the sex drive bit, I did laugh!!  Obviously going through a divorce so I havent got to worry about that......yet!!! But I think its great for you, cos it is a very important thing that it doesnt affect you to that extent.

I hope so much things are on the 'up' for you (excuse the pun) But if you (or anyone else for that matter) could let me know regarding your weight, that would be brilliant.  

Ive yet to feel any better.  But gp did say it could take two weeks before I felt any change.  I have to go back to see her in three weeks, and IF there is a weight gain, I want to come off them and maybe try something else.

Coincidentally, Im also on Amitriptyline which was given to be for PND over 17 years ago!  But Amitriptyline is also used to help neuropathy, and I have that in my feet unfortunately. The gp actually said to me that Amitriptyline was a 'very old' form of anti depressant, and that they dont use it for that anymore.  I have to say, it does help my feet, so I will continue to take that.

I hope after a few weeks, I start to benefit from the Cit.  I can but hope.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply and I am sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time,  Answering your first question, for me the weight has not been a problem I have actually lost 6 llbs ?. I had been suffering from depression for many years and "managed" hower there comes a point when enough is enough. So I did and for a male I feel proud to have actually gone to the doctors ( mind you my wife did instigate it) . I have not been that hungry to be honest so in a way thats a good thing. Although you have not had panick attacks you may find the Cit does cause them, but lets home not. My sister in Law hower has seen an increase in weight though and see is on Cit too, so I it may just depend.  Sorry if thats not a specific enough answer but good luck wit ha new life and a new you
    • Posted

Hi Wendy, I've always had a sweet tooth but it's definitely worse now the Citalopram has kicked in. I have real cravings for bad food which I can't seem to ignore nowadays. I've definitely put a bit of weight on. But it's nothing irreversible and the citalopram has really helped me so much. At the moment I feel the benefits outweigh the negatives. Now (2 months in) I'm at a stage where I can counter act it with some excersise (currently consisting of 30 mins of yoga most days and a run once a week. Nothing crazy!) which is good for you in so many ways - it's about more than just keeping weight off. Sorry that's probably not the answer you were hoping for. It effects everyone differently though so I think just stick it out a bit longer and see whether it's a problem for you - it might not be smile x
  • Posted

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, everyone is different at the end of the day, and on reflection, Ive read that some people either havent put any weight on, or they have lost it!!  So its a bit mishmash at the moment......guess I will have to see how I get on.  At least when I go back to gp in three weeks, I will have an idea as to which way its going to swing for me.

I just want to feel better.  But I dont want to gain weight!!!!! Fingers crossed I might be like you!!!

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Patiance is a virtue, and you do need to be patient as you feel that it gets better then you get worse, and one day you forget about the illness and then realise OH I still feel good today, and then take each day at a time.

I really hope you can stay on the med and that it works for you

• Posted

6 months on Sunday takig 20mg,s I thought I would up date. Well Last month I still had a few anxiety issues for no reason which then caused a downer, which seem to last a few days. June has been the same but I do not feel "happy" as yet so I guess the tablets need to continue to be taken, In a world of pressure  not from my loving family but from the job role I do "financial advice" boooo I hear you all shout, ! targets targets targets I'm not sure if this is prolonging the pain but what job in life dosn't have pressure. I have not taken time off work but my boss is aware of my illness and whilst supportive I want to do well,being someone who likes to please and be praised as who dosnt like a pat on the back every now and again.

I dont know the answer to what to do apart from continue down the same track of life and hope for the best.

x

• Posted

Richard, I am giving you a huge pat on the back for sticking to the program for 6 months. Sorry you aren't feeling way better, but keep going. Week 3 and not having a smooth time,lots of nausea etc. Good going and hope you feel much better soon . Lee.
    • Posted

Thanks lee, I suppose life is tough if you have an illness or not, the tablets just keep you from dispair, keep up with the meds and good luck  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.