Biologicals.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am being assessed for Biologicals for RA, I have done much reading about the side effects and would appreciate any info of experiences of others using biologicals, much appreciated for any replies. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I Was on dmards for 2 years and it wasn't really helping much so I am now injecting Humira once every 2 weeks. I've had a real positive reaction to it with my crp going from 56 down to 4. I have no side effects at all. I can only say positive stuff about it.the best thing is the RA foggy head has disappeared and I can actually think straight, better nights sleep probably helps with that too. I would definitely recommend you to try it.

• Posted

Thanks, I was just worrying about all the bad side effects that can happen, I was given methotrexate in the past and ended up in A and E, so it's probably down to that I worry somewhat, and your reply is reassuring, thanks.

• Posted

Hi Martin, I've been on Cimzia for eight months. No side effects at all and feeling much better. The only thing is I'm still getting some swelling in my hands and my rheumatologist is considering trying another one soon. As she says there are several they can try if one is not working for you.

• Posted

Hi, my CRP is 28 would you consider this as high?, and my PV plasma viscosity is 1.82 which is above the norm, any views thanks, both have been raised for over a year.
    • Posted

I am from uk where crp is monitored at the hospital on the computer. A rheumy nurse phones if mine is over 30 basically to check whether an unrecognised infection is causing increased inflammation or if something needs to change in my treatment.

i have the biologic rituximab by infusion every 7 months.I have no Side effects and it works brilliantly. However I understand your concerns as the list of possible side effects is there including the possibility in the case of this drug of a serious neurological effect. I read about it. The chances are absolutely minimal. If other lesser side effects happen you come off the drug and find something different. So, take a deep breath and go for it! I know several people whose symptoms have dramatically improved after using a biologic.

• Posted

Thanks for reply, I've a more positive view now after reassuring replies.

• Posted

Hi Martin I have had RA for 30 years after trying all the other meds was chosen to be in one of the first groups at our hospital to take embrol by injection. It has changed my life. I still get flares but nothing like I used to have, but it does not work for me on its own, I have to inject methotrexate as well. Like you I worry if it is safe, and what sort of side effects it could have, but I do not regret my decision to start taking it, I was so low and in so much pain constantly I just did not want to be here . How this helps . 
    • Posted

Thanks Carole, at the minute I'm on sulfasalazine, and Rheumatologist said I could take biologicals along with sulfasalazine, I can't take methotrexate, bad side effects, so I'm just waiting to hear from rheumatology.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.